Heart Disease Community
CHF and valve replacement surgery

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

CHF and valve replacement surgery

My father has been diagnosed with CHF and enlarged heart due to Aortic stenosis. His EF is 50% and is aged 64. What are risks with surgery. We got him checked from two places one says surgery other advises against it. Anybody can help??
It depends on his symptoms as to whether he needs surgery. His EF is good. If his quality of life is very bad, ask a cardio if valve replacement would help him. He already has an enlarged heart.

If you want the very best advice in the world, get him to the Cleveland Clinic in Miami or Cleveland. I was in the same room with a man that had CHF and needed mitral valve replacement while at the CC 2 weeks ago. I heard the surgeon discuss the plan. These docs work only for the hospital, and are paid a salary. They do not have private practices.

BTW this man's mitral valve was almost destroyed by a staph bacteria...
valve repair/replacement is becoming more and more common and extremely effective. It can reverse heart enlargement from what I've heard in some studies and the mortality rate at the high volume centers is less than 2% I believe.

good luck going forward.
God bless...
Avatar n tn
Thank you for the replies. Jack, his quality of life is not bad at all. He can do  most of the routine things without much trouble, can even climb stairs. Is there any possibility that the heart size may reduce with proper lifestyle and medications etc and then we go in for surgery and if yes how long usually it takes??
Thanks in advance for the help.