Heart Disease Expert Forum
CHOLESTEROL

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

CHOLESTEROL

HELLO,

MY QUESTION IS CONCERNING MY CHOLESTEROL COUNT.  I WENT TO THE DOCTOR YESTERDAY AND HE TOLD ME MY CHOLESTEROL COUNT WAS 209. MY HDL WAS 57, LDL WAS 141 AND MY TRI 57. I'M NOT SURE HOW THEY ADD IT UP BUT IT CAME TO 209.  MY QUESTION IS, IS 209 STILL A DANGEROUS AMOUNT SINCE MY GOOD CHOLESTEROL IS AT 57?  ALSO, I JUST RECENTLY HAD A BABY 4 MONTHS AGO AND HAVEN'T YET TAKEN OFF MY PREGANANCY WEIGHT.  (I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON IT) COULD THIS BE THE REASON WHY MY CHOLESTEROL WENT UP?  FINALLY, MY LAST QUESTION IS WHEN ARTERIES GET BLOCKED UP BY CHOLESTEROL, ONCE THE CHOLESTEROL GOES BACK DOWN THROUGH EXCERCISE AND DIET DOES IT GO BACK TO NORMAL?  I AM TRYING TO KEEP FIT AND LIVE A HEALTHY LIFE STYLE.  ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE HELPFUL.  THANK YOU!
Dear iv,

Cholesterol has been identified as a major risk factor in the development of heart disease.  Early studies established high cholesterol as a risk factor for developing heart disease.  Lowering cholesterol for secondary prevention, that is preventing second heart attacks in persons who already had had one, was next demonstrated in the eighties and primary prevention of heart attack and stroke (In persons who had never had a prior event) demonstrated in the nineties.  The most recently published studies have demonstrated that lipid lowering therapy decreases cardiac events even in those persons with normal cholesterol.

Total cholesterol is broken down into different categories.  High density cholesterol (HDL) is the