Heart Disease Expert Forum
COMINDIN AND KETOPROPHYNS

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

COMINDIN AND KETOPROPHYNS

I am 65 and have a degenerqtive left hip  -bond on bone. joint swelling and pain are well managed by 200 mg of Orivil, a NSAD.  Over halloween, under some stress, I developed atrial fibrilation . After 3+ day hopitalization for diagnostics, echogram blood work ups etc. I was put on 2.5 mg coumidin, a digitalis deravitive and a beta blocker.
  but I was TAKEN OFF Orivil as it interfers with the coumidin. Result hip pain greatly increased. . What is nature of interference of Orivil with coumidin and is it possible to find an alternative to either coumidin or Orivil?
Dear George
NSAIDS increase your chances of bleeding, in particular from stomach ulcers. Coumadin also increases your chances of bleeding. Taken together, these two agents raise your risk of bleeding substantially. You should let your doctor know that you are having a great deal of pain. You and he will have to discuss the risks of restarting an NSAID or perhaps using something like Tylenol (which can actually interfere with Coumadin and also make bleeding more likely at high doses - not a well known fact).
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.  Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.