Heart Disease Expert Forum
CORDARONE PRIOR TO REPEAT CARDIOVERSION

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

CORDARONE PRIOR TO REPEAT CARDIOVERSION
Posted By LISA on June 17, 1998 at 14:59:50:

6/17/98
My father (age 59) was diagnosed with A.fib in may/1998.
It was quite by chance:  he has been asymptomatic. To his benefit he had been taking an aspirin a day for a long time, and 2 aspirins a day for about the last year (this he had been doing on his own....until now he has rarely, if ever seen a physician...)
He was started on digoxin and coumadin, and in late May he
underwent cardioversion:  it was not successful, though his doctor said that he converted to a sinus rhythm for about a minute  before going back into fib.
He was placed on cordarone, orally.  Digoxin was d/c'd. He also remains on coumadin. He has rescheduled a second cardioversion, I believe for later this month...
Could you please explain how the cordarone might work to enable him
to cardiovert,  and  if the cardioversion is not successful,  are there any further alternatives to get him back to a normal rhythm.
( my father is 59, overweight : though on his own low fat diet he has since
lost 20lbs and significantly lowered his cholesterol....he continues to make good progress with his diet!!)
thank you very much!!!!
lisa