Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can A Heart Just Stop Beating?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Can A Heart Just Stop Beating?

I know this sounds crazy...but sometimes my heart skips a beat or starts pounding at a slow rate.  I had an EKG done in the ER last week when I started experiencing the symptoms. I am 28 yrs old.

Questions:

1) Can an otherwise healthy heart just stop beating?  Due to electrical short in system, etc.?  Or for that matter, can it speed up so fast that it causes damager /death?
2) Is it possible that I have an arrythmia that was not picked up on the EKG, since I was not experiencing symptoms when they took it?
3) What tests would you recommend?
1. Yes. Sudden cardiac  death is one of the leading causes of death in the Western world. However, it typically strikes older people at risk for coronary artery disease.
2. Yes. The enormal ECG is good, but does not rule out an arrhythmia.
3. A Holter monitor, sort of a portable ECG, worn for a day or two. It should allow your doctor to diagnose what is causing your skipped beats.
Can I wait until after the holidays to do this?  Knowing I do not have coronary artery disease (based on normal EKG), is there any risk of serious injury or death from an arrythmia (if that is even what it is)?

Or can I wait and do this at my leisure after holidays.  This is a very important point for me as I will be travelling internationally during holidays...Thanks for all your help!  I have made a donation to your service!!
Actually, for the record, a normal ECG does not at all rule out coronary artery disease. However, in a young healthy person such as yourself, coronary artery disease is extremely rare. You probably have skipped beats and nothing more serious. Nevertheless, I think that you should get a doctor's evaluation, but it can wait until after the holidays, unless you develop any new symptoms.
Last question -- promise...

What does rule out coronary artery disease in a 28 yr old male (only slightly overweight), smoke socially...no other problems or history.  Thanks..
An experienced doctor who can tell you that you are OK is all you need. Any sophisticated testing is more likely to provide a misleading answer in a young healthy individual. There is no such thing as 'social smoking.' If you are worried about your cardiac health, you need to stop smoking.
mr Jbt
I believe heart attacks have no age as neither does death I am also young and had two heart attacks with in two months of each other i smoke but mine was due to stress I did go to ER and I was sent home my ecg and ekg ect were withing normanl but I did get worse and went back and luckly for me I had my first heart attack in the hospital and not at home. good luck and please dont take your problem lightly or put on the back burnner take care of it ................