Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can B/P meds cause skipped heartbeats?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Can B/P meds cause skipped heartbeats?
Is it possible that my blood pressure meds could cause skipped heartbeats?  I'm taking 20mg of Vasotec and 50mg Aldactone per day.  I had previously been taking Capoten and Aldactone with no skipped beats.  These started in May when my meds were switched.  My MD did an EKG which he compared to the one done in Feb during my annual physical and they "matched" so he is not overly concerned with the skips.  I'm overweight and on a 1200 calorie balanced diet (to hopefully get off these meds altogether).  I do have the usual stresses in my life; sometimes more than the usual but am curious if my medications might contribute to the skips.  My B/P is well controlled with the Vasotec/Aldactone combination (usually 120/75 or so)unlike the Capoten which caused very low readings at times and lightheadedness.  Any insight you can offer will be most appreciated.  Thank you.
Dear PMSha,

Both vasotec and capoten belong to the class of drugs called ACE inhibitors.  Switching from one to another should not cause an increase in skipped heartbeats.