Can Cardiomegaly be caused by a heart murmur?
My son died in 2010 at the age of 36.  An autopsy concluded that his death was due to an undiagnosed enlarged heart.  When he was a baby, his doctor indicated that my son had a slight heart murmur, but never suggested that any testing or monitoring of this condition needed to be done.  I am wondering if the heart murmur could have caused his heart to enlarge.  I also wonder how long it would take for the heart to enlarge to the point that it becomes fatal.  My son never complained of any symptoms.
I am so sorry for the loss of your son.  That's hard.

But heart murmurs themselves do not cause problems.  They are just sounds caused by blood moving around in the heart.  Many are completely benign, but they can be a sign that something else is wrong, like a faulty heart valve. If a doctor hears a heart murmur on a visit, he should check it out. Here is more information about heart murmurs:

http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/heart/heart_murmurs.html#

After reading this, you will understand that these noises are pretty common in babies, but that they often correct themselves.   If none of his doctors noted a heart murmur during the rest of his life, the chances are that it could no longer be heard, and that probably it had nothing to do with his death.