Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can ECG or stress test be fine but still have problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have had chest pain for around 6 years. 4 years ago i went to dr and had ECG and it came back normal. A stress test on tredmill also was done and was normal. I have continued to have the pain occassionally through the years. 3 years ago I went back to Dr , had another ECG which was fine. The last year and half the pain is more often in my chest. For past year i am getting dizzy spells, lightheadness. Sometimes im not doing any activity like driving and i will get a dizzy feeling. I also get dizzy feeling if i bend down or such. I havent been to dr for 3 years but had a ECG as i was gonna do a clinical trial and it came back fine but I wore a heart monitor for 5 hours and they called 2 days ago to say i wasnt allowed to do the trial and they said to contact a DR to see cardiologist.
If a Dr tells me its fine then i believe thats what it is BUT my question is can you still have a ECG or stress test come back fine and still have something wrong with your heart?
My chest pain feeling and my other symtoms (symptoms) are getting worse over time.
Thank You for your time in reading my concern.
female-35yrs-marijuana smoker for 15 yrs(quit 2yrsago) smoker 19 yrs(quit2yrsago)5'8-195pds
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey mandyclar

It is tough to give you an accurate diagnosis without personally meeting you and reviewing your entire clinical history but generally speaking the answer to your question is "YES"
It is certainly possible to have an ECG or a stress test come back "normal" and you may still have problems with your heart.
ECG and stress testing are only designed to pick up abnormalities in blood flow to the heart muscle. Depending on the type of stress test, even these abnormalities may be undiagnosed by stress testing. Given the clinical scenario and the risk factors, the cardiologists often pursue cardiac catheterization or a different stress test to determine if there are blockages in the coronary arteries.
Besides this, these tests are not designed to pick up problems with your valves, muscle etc and require different investigations for diagnosis.
At this point, I would say that your symptoms are concerning enough to merit a thorough evaluation by a cardiologist.
I would recommend that you see one as soon as possible.

Hope that is helpful