Heart Disease Community
Can I go Diving?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Can I go Diving?

3 years ago I had a valve replacement along with a triple bypass. Never had symtoms (symptoms) picked up by doctor on first visit for 7 years. I felt fine before it except for shortness of breath which I put down to my age. I feel fine now but taking tablets for cholestorol and high blood pressure. Get more reaction from the medication than anything else.

When I was younger I was an active Skin Diver and I am going on my Holidays to Egypt where I am told the diving is amongst the best in the world. Havn't got time to see the doctor but what do others think about me Diving on the Coral reefs. Not talking of any great depths maybe 10-15ft. I am almost 63.
Valve replacement along with a triple bypass and you are 63. Under no circumstances I would do diving especially if you are not been doing it since you were young. You might be ok, but why taking any chances? You do not want to spend your days of holyday in a strange hospital .Shortness of breath never came with age, but maybe being overweight, or might want to do more than fit for age or the combination for both. Let’s face it and ask yourself is diving so important to you? …or just an ego thing that many of us have. I know believe me. I use to stand on my head regularly even after my heart failure, at age 53 for a while just to show I still can do it. Friend of mine a nurse said: don’t!! When I was asking my doctor after a while he said: NO don’t do that anymore.
So what I said to you was only an opinion, best if you make time to ask your doctor, a phone call can do it. But after all it is your decisions do what you feel you should do, but choose wisely.
I would agree. A diving Doctor would want to get you on a treadmill to prove your general fitness, and expect a 7.5 minute mile with no complications or symptoms. My Brother is a qualified Diver and he said that you would be in dire trouble if you suddenly experienced chest pains while diving, even at 15 feet. Even with a good diving buddy to watch you, the risks are too great unless a Doctor clears you. If you had a mechanical valve fitted, then you will be on a form of warfarin, which is a blood thinner not recommended for diving.
I know it's a bit late, but you should really have spoke to a Doctor first. Is there no way you can see one before the trip?
Thak you both for your comments, No it is not an ego thing I was a champion swimmer and feel very comfortable in the water. Shar el Shiek it is said to have some of the best diving conditions in the world with colourful fish and coral reef. I have snorkelled since my op without problems. As I said previously I felt fine before my op, the surgeon even commented that I was the fittest he had seen in my situation for years.
Following the operation once I had come back to full fitness I felt great again and carry on a normal life without problem!

I will speak to the Doctor and if he is against it I guess it will have to be the glass sumarine!