Heart Disease Community
Can I leave a 100% blocked carotid artery alone? genetic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I am a 59 year old woman who exercises vigorously regularly and has good cholestrol levels, etc.

About a year ago in a routine checkup and followup tests, I was diagnosed with a 100% blocked carotid artery on one side.  The other carotid was perfect and my doctor told me that I should just get this checked once a year.  (Another test showed that other arteries "took over" for the blocked carotid and between that and the carotid that is completely open, I would be fine).  I went to a cardiologist who was surprised at my having a 100% blocked carotid due to my really good blood test results, etc.  Said it could be a genetic blockage which is very rare. He told me that nothing else could be done for me other than watching my diet, exercising, etc (which I do).

Has anyone else heard of this?  I'm terrified that my other artery will become clogged also. (It is fine now)

Someone mentioned getting a balloon cath which the doctors never addressed.Thanks
Barbara
I read about another woman with a blocked carotid and yes, it's a scary thought. But it seems that other peripheral vessels will open up under pressure and supply blood flow. You didn't mention having any TIA's or strokes so your flow must be doing well.

What I read is that they may do an angioplasty on a narrowed artery but not on a fully blocked one. A cardiologist could tell you whether that's correct or not. But certainly good diet, exercise and regular monitoring will be important for you.
Blockage on the right side is not as bad as on the left side, I had 90% blockage on the left side and 20% on the right. I had surgery on the left side. If it's the left side I would be more concerned than if it's the right side
I'm almost 82 years old with hemiplegia and 100% blocked left carotid artery.(my stroke was compliments of by-pass heart surgery 13 years ago). I take chelation pills twice daily - don't know if it's why I'm still here, but suspect if you watch your diet and exercise you'll be ok too.
Rowland
My daughter has the rare disease call tarrotisin. I know I'm mispelling it but I am very anxious right now.  She was diagnosided with the problem some 11years ago. She has blockage on both sides. Right now the doctors have been monitoring the problem.

My questions,
1. What can one expect as far as the progress of this problem?
2. Thow of you who have had the problem for a long time what are your ways of coping emtionally and otherwise.
3. How can I be supportive of my daughter.  She has had a little girl since her initial diagnosis and I am conceren for both of their well beings.

Labeth
As the 82 yr old blogger just mentioned chelation, I, too, started taking liquid chelation when I found out about my blockage.  Although my artery was 99% closed upon my first taking the chelation, it closed completely afterwards.  But, I can tell you that my left side artery has maintained the same percentage for just about ten years.  Plus, I had high cholesteral and with the chelation, it has been normal for the past 8/9 years.  I've lost weight and I hardly ever feel depressed.  The product is called 'Cardio Renew'.  www.cardiorenew.com.  Good Luck!
The claim on their web site is "EDTA Chelation has also been shown to remove mineral deposits, particularly calcium."
So you are basically confirming that it doesn't work at all. After 8-9 years, your calcium deposits are exactly the same.
I'm pretty late reading this thread but I was diagnosed in 2000 with my left carotid being 90% blocked and my right carotid totally occluded. (100%)
This was verified after the ultrasound by a MRI of my neck and later some type of angioplasty in the hospital. I ended uo having a endarterectomy on my left C in may of that year. In 2003 about three years after the surgery I can a TIA which a was caused by a brain bleed. At that time it was discovered that the left side that had the surgery was now 100% occulded. My vascular surgeon who did my endartorectomy told me that collateral activity had taked over  and I was getting the blood to my brain thru smaller veins in my face and the artery in the back of my neck. I was put on Plavix and a statin. Was  monitored about every six months for about five years. The plavix eventually thinned my blood so much that I started getting nose bleeds frequently. About five years ago knowing that my colesteral was well under control I stopped taking the Plavix. I'm fairly healthy other than a continual stiff neck and lower back pain. Couple years ago I had both my knees totally replaced a week a part. I about to turn 67 and often wonder what would happen if something went wrong with that neck artery that is supplying most of the oxygen to my head. I don't think it would be good but I have survived 14 years now without my carotids.  
We all have a common carotid artery on either side of the neck, which divides further up into the inner and outer carotid arteries. In many people, they have a totally blocked artery on one side of the neck, but have no symptoms. It isn't until they have a TIA or stoke that the diagnosis is often made. I often wonder why they don't just clamp the blocked or restricted artery at each end to prevent plaque escaping, then just ensure they monitor the good artery on the other side.