Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can SVT cause Heart Failure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Can SVT cause Heart Failure?

Can you please tell me if SVT can cause Heart Failure?  

If it can, then can you have symptoms of HF after an SVT attack that could possibly go away on its own (without treatment) and come back again later?

If someone had such a thing would the Cardiologist have been able to tell from an EKG and Echo that was done 2mths later that HF occurred?

I'm just wondering all this because I had what my Cardiologist believes was an SVT attack while on a camping trip where help was not available.  After it happened though, I had such severe shortness of breath and weakness that I was unable to walk a few paces for several hours thereafter.  I even had to resort to crawling a few steps then stopping to catch my breath, etc.  This had lasting effects into the evening and throughout most of the following day.  I could not lie down comfortably that night, and tried sleeping sitting up leaning against something.

This lasting effect has by all means never been as severe as this time.  I have had other attacks of `SVT' but never with the end result like this.

What do you think happened there?
SVT can lead to heart failure in particular circumstances. Several, frequent episodes of SVT after months or years can lead to heart failure. In addition, in someone with pre-existing heart muscle dysfunction, a single episode can lead to overt heart failure. SVT can also simulate many symptoms of heart failure, but only temporarily.
Hi A.R.,

I have been getting SVTs for about 2 1/2 years now. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. What a pain it can be sometimes, eh?! I've gotten them right when standing up to talk to a large group of customers. Very unsettling. Be sure to talk to a cardiologist about the specifics of your situation but in mine they have assured me repeatedly that my SVTs are not life threatening (man, they sure feel like it sometimes....). My doctors have given me three (non-drug related) ways to help an SVT calm down and my chiropractor has used a form of back massage that also has helped.
     I also am subject to panic attacks and they are known to have a high correlation with SVTs and valve problems. So it's really a pain when the panic attack makes the SVT happen which makes me panic etc. etc. etc. Over the years I've learned from experience not to worry nearly as much and that has helped me all the way around.
     I will need surgery in January 2000 to put a new aortic valve in and am looking forward to feeling better afterward. Sometimes it's scary but I feel so lucky to have access to modern medical care.
     I hope you find peace with your SVTs and health and happiness in the future...

JE
J.E.
Can you tell me what your doctor has told you to calm down those SVT attacks?  I don't want to take the medication all the time and I also have svt!!How fast does yours go and how often do you have the attacks!  Help!!
Thanks Dr. DLB and Jim for your feedback and advise.

You're right the symptoms are very debilitating and even though we've been told that SVT is not life threatening, it sure is scary!  I'm on a beta-blocker right now.  But, I'm hoping to get off them soon with a permanent fix if at all possible (ablation).
I too have had this problem... boy it sure feels like a heart attack, but I have learned to try to calm down during these episodes. I know it's hard to do)... but long slow breathes(if possible) do help... also getting a shock of cold air... or plunging your face into ice water, also bearing down like you're having a bowel movement...all do work to slow things down.  I've also heard that rubbing your neck by  jaw line is suppose to help also. I finally got tired of having these attacks, and I'm scheduled next week for an EP study with possible ablation...I'll be glad to finally find out what is causing this atacks and possibly have it fixed.  I have the attcks far between each other. Sometimes as much a 2 years... but it seems once I get one, then a few follow.  They leave me weak, tired and achey (achy) for a week at atime.. I wish you luck.
A related discussion, squeezing? was started.
A related discussion, SVT Heart Condition was started.