Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can Sore Chest Muscles be Associated with PVCs

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

This site has been very helpful in understanding and dealing with my recently developed PVCs. Thank you.

I have another question though that I have not seen addressed before. I am an active 28-year old male that doesn
Dear stakan,
Many people complain of pain during the PVC but chronic muscle soreness is not generally associated with PVCs.  I would suspect something like costochondritis or muscle strain.
In my own experience, trauma to the chest, whether it be minor like generalized soreness or major like an operation, will indeed result in a hightened production of PACs.  I believe this may be caused by the subtle relationship between foci, the heart, and the nervous system surrounding the heart.  There are many folk in this forum who can attribute jargon to this condition, which, for me, serves only to obfuscate and not educate.  The basic thing is, that if you have premature beats due to active foci (cardiac tissue inappropriately sending out signals, generally located in some structural component around the heart, most commonly the pulmonary vein area), these PACs/PVCs will occur based on two factors: the proximity of the foci to the conduction systems in the heart, and the status of the autonomic nervous system, in particular, the vagal nervous system.  That nervous system is apt to be affected by chest pain.

In response to the sore chest muscles question: I am a 22 year old female who has been experiencing what I think may be Pvc's, tomorrow I will be getting a holter put on for 24 hours to try and catch my problem. I can be resting or active and all of a sudden my heart will start to beat really hard and rapid for a few beats and it feels as if my heart is beating too many times or is skipping beats...ugh! Once this happens I get so freaked out that I turn into a nervous reck and have a panic attack. I have had my husband take me to the doctors and ER on several occasions.  Now, regarding the chest pain, I have not had an attack since last Thursday, but I have been feeling the pain in my chest as you described it, I will be letting my doctor know tomorrow, and will let you know what she says. I just had a baby 8 weeks ago, so with the stress of the delivery and the new baby, I am wondering if stress brings on these feelings.  Do you have any extra stress around the time you experience these Pvc's? hope to hear from anyone soon.
I have experienced chest pain associated with a sudden cough which I think is caused by PVCs. Upon consultation with a specialist he diagnosed the pain as sternochondritis (which I believe is the same as costochondritis) but no mention was made of its relation to PVCs.
Just a couple of interesting notes:

1. I was on vacation for the past two weeks and I never felt my PVCs. I am back to work today and I started feeling them first thing this morning. I have concluded that it is work that causes them! Hmmm, how can I get out of this?
2. The sore muscles in my chest have not been sore for the past couple of weeks. Now that I am back to work and am experiencing the PVCs again it will be interesting to see if the soreness comes back too?

Melo,
Any results from your Holter yet? How about the sore chest muscles?
I recentley had a bad flu with dry heaves, since last week I have had a very sore chest muscle and a burning sensation when I eat. Should I be concerned or will it clear up on it's own?
A related discussion, Muscle Pain after PVCs was started.