Can a Catherization show the area of a heart attack?
I know this probably sounds really stupid or ignorant, but if you have a Cardiac catherization, can they tell by looking at the different parts of your heart, that you have had a heart attack, how big it was, and what kind of damage you have? Does anyone know what a STunned myocardium is, and if so, what do they do during the catherization to fix it.
also, can you have a heart attack with small blockages in your heart, or does it have to be a fully blocked area?
Allso I know from foot surgeries and other parts of the body, that scar tissue forms and in my case it forms excessive scar tissue. If you have a heart attack, does the dead or injured part form scar tissue like in other parts of the body?
If so, can you remove it, or what function does it play if it is just scar tissue. Also what is meant by viable tissue and that hoping the area is still viable or alive? I have my catherization scheduled for Monday, five days from now and am trying to work out these last bugs in my mind.  Thanks                              fluffypurrcat
There is perfusion associated with a cath and the area of damage can be determined.

Stunned heart cells are cells that are temporarily deprived of oxygen as result of an acute MI and is generally reversible after a brief ischemic event. I believe open heart surgery relies on revitalizing heart cells after surgery...some don't make it, and that is a risk.

Hibernating heart cells are a result from periods of low oxygen such as ischemia from occluded cells.  The cells hibernate to save energy and protect themselves against ischemia induced cell death.  If hibernating, the cells can be revitalized with good supply of blood/oxygen as can stunned heart cells.

Scarred heart tissue loses its some flexibility and impairs heart wall movement effecting heart pumping strength and restricts filling capacity reducing cardiac output.  Stem cell therapy makes it possible to restore lost heart cells.  

Sometimes cardiomyopathy (pathologically enlarged heart walls) can restore some flexibility and capacity after surgically removing the excessive growth.
Hi, thank you very much for the answers. So does this mean if you have STunned Myocardium, that they can be revived, and how do they revive them? What kind of procedure is done? Allso , can you have a small blockage and have this sort of damage, or does it have to be a bigger blockage. Also with STunned Myocardium, do they reverse on their own, without any intervention such as blood flow returning on it's own, or is there still some area of damage?        Thank you.                    fluffypurrcat
Stunned cells are a result of ischemia (lack of blood flow to the heart), and almost always is not applicable to myocarditis due to virus, etc. and necrotic sacr tissue.

The restoration for stunned heart cells would require blood/oxygen to be replenished in a timely manner.