Heart Disease Community
Can a person live with only ten percent of their heart working

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My brother is 54 he had a major heart attach last February, they did a double bypass and put in a pig valve, his kidneys started failing and his liver, he was on dialysis for a couple weeks,  he ended up with gangrene in his feet and had to have his toes amputated.  He went to the dr. and they told him that only ten percent of his heart is working, and is sending him for a second opinion on getting a heart transplant.  How long can a person live with only ten percent of their heart working.  And would he qualify for a heart transplant after everything else that has happened and what is the chances of him surviving a heart transplant if they can do it.  How quick would they have to do it.  Again how long can a person live on ten percent of their heart working
Also he has a anurysm on his heart that has got bigger the last couple months
I'm so sorry about your brother. Unfortunately I doubt if he would even be considered for a heart transplant due to his age and health.  Hearts normally go to the younger people first, as do most organs.  Ten percent isn't good, but I'm not qualified to answer this.  I do hope he is in the hospital where they can watch him, and keep all the pressure off his heart.
To give some perspective, there may be a misunderstaning regarding the statement only 10% of the heart is working!  Usually what 10%, or any percent figure associated with the heart is the amount of blood pumped into circulation with each heartbeat and normal is 50 to 75% ejection fraction (EF). Sometimes the EF can be increased with therapy, but the danger of having a low ejection fraction is there is more blood going to the heart from the lungs than the heart is able to pump into circulation.

More than 5 years ago, I had an EF of 13% and currently my EF is normal at 59%  How long can one survive with a very low EF (10%) depends on the underlying cause to the heart muscle dysfunction,  and whether the condition can be stablized...if the EF can get up to 25% or higher, and there is a reduction of blood/oxygen demand one can manage quite well and that also depends on the general health.

Where is the aneurysm?  Is it the septum (wall separating  heart chambers)?  The aorta?  The danger of an aneurysm is the risk of rupture and that depends in part on the size, etc.  There are successful treatments available.

To be a candiate for heart transplant •Their heart disease needs to be advanced enough to be truly life-threatening (most transplant candidates are considered to be at risk of dying within the next one to two years).
•Other treatment possibilities have been exhausted.
•They must be physically healthy enough (with the exception of their weak heart) to endure the operation.
•They must be psychologically strong enough to handle the stress associated with a heart transplant and the kinds of lifestyle demands that are required after heart transplantation.

Unqualified include individuals •Age older than 70
•Problems with blood circulation
•Severe kidney, lung or liver disease
•Untreatable high blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary arterial hypertension)
•Cancer
•Psychological or emotional problems that would interfere with the individual adhering to the lifestyle changes required after a heart transplant, including lifelong use of medication
•Certain infections.

According to the National Institutes of Health, about 88% of heart transplant patients are still living one year after surgery, 72% are alive 5 years after surgery, about 50% are alive after 10 years and 16% are alive 20 years after a heart transplant.

The aneurysm is in the right aortic.  They have transferred him, but haven't said much yet.  They are running a bunch of tests.  His kidneys are failing and he has a lot of fluid around his heart and in his stomach area, he gained thirty pounds in two weeks time.  Thank you for your responses.  The nurse said she didn't know if his kidneys would kick back in or not.  They have not started diaylisis on him, but when he had the heart attack before his kidneys and liver had started failing, they were giving him dialysis everyday for a month or so.  I don't know what his blood pressure is, but heard it is very low.
as long as lord wants him to live
My father in law is in his mid 70's, he has been told that he had to have a triple bypass, now a few days later they are telling him that his heart is 75 percent dead, i am not sure what that means and how long can he live like that. They say no bypass because of it, they say it cant be repaired, what does this mean for his longgevity.
I read your comment with ef being 13 percent and now it's 59 percent. My husband had a heart attack 11/18/11. His EF was 10% when he got to the hospital. When he had a echo 02/2012 it was up to 12%. If there was things you did to strengthen the heart muscle. Please give me information on what to have my husband try. They are talking about a heart transplant. We are both scared. He is only 41. Had the heart attack at 40. They first said it was a virus to the heart. I guess more test latere ruled out for a heart attack with left EF damage.
my husband had a stent put in 19 days later iy was clogged how
4
What symptoms am I looking for prior to his last breath or heart beat.  he only has 10% of his heart working. and is now home on hospice. they said he only had 48 hours to live and that was 7 days ago.   I need to know what symptoms I should  be looking for, upon his death..
my brother, my only brother is  and he also only has ten percent working, he is in the hospital now and his legs are so swollen and his urine is so dark. they have not even tested his kidneys.. its like they are just letting him die.....  
Is you brother still with us? My stepdad's case sounds just like his? He is in hospice with no life saving support..