Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can angina just go away

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Can angina just go away

Hi-
Is it possible for angina to just go away.  I had chest pains for about a year, several times week.  About a month and a half ago, I had several severe angina attacks over the course of a couple of weeks, 3 of which woke me during the night.  The last one I had was at night, and it was so bad I was terrified to even move, severe chest pressure, burning pain straight through to my back, and a choking sensation.  I can't say how long it lasted, it seemed quite a while, but when you have pain time tends to drag.  The next day I felt rather fatigued and weak. After the second day, I started feeling better and found it was easier to get a full breath than it had been in months.  It has been over a month since I've experienced any angina.  Is it possible for it to just go away?  
I don't know how you know that this is angina. If you know this to be true, it is generally not a wise choice to ignore it or hope it to go away, because it can actually mean you are having a heart attack, as symptom severity and duration suggest that if this is angina it is clearly severe and needs urgent attention. I would recommend that you seek emergent medical attention in the form of a visit to the emergency room today, or at the latest that you speak to your physician in the morning.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I realize is will be long, but here's the history.  I just turned 50 Saturday.  My cholesterol was a little high but the ration was good.  BP is mostly normal.  Don't smoke, or drink, and I'm not overweight.  No family history of early heart disease, just a very sedentary life style prior to the following nightmare.  

I was having chest pains last spring.  A LOT of stress at work.  I didn't think anything of it, figuring it was just stress.  A visit to my GP in June for lower back and arm pain (bad neck) precipitated questions of chest pains, an EKG (borderline 1st degree AV block - 202 ms) ending up with me seeing a cardiologist.  I had and echocardiogram, and a nuclear stress test.  Both came out fine.  He suggested GERD, Proton inhibitor did nothing.  Said he would treat the symptoms, gave me nitroglycerin to try.  It did help some of the time.  In December, he put me on a CCB, which helped quite a bit, chest pains became less frequent.  By the end of December, though, I started getting the pains at different times, sometimes when walking, most of the time while sitting at my desk at work.  In January, I had a very short (less than 5 seconds) partial loss of vision in my left eye.  Didn't think much of it.  Although, I did eventually tell the dr. who wasn't concerned.  In February, my chest pains started waking me up at night, just pressure at first.  Then pressure and burning in my chest and across my shoulders.  They didn't last long.  The last one was the one described above.  My husband was right next to me, but I couldn't move, even to speak.  The pain was so strong, I held my breath, just hoping it would pass.  I was scared.  When it did, I was so exhausted I went to sleep.  I had an appointment with my cardiologist a couple of weeks later, so I figured I would mention it to him.  He didn't say anything about it, just to continue on the CCB and see him in July.  I haven't had any chest pains pressure or sharp burning.  Occasionally, I get what feels like "chest freeze" (I call it that because that's the sensation I get sometimes when I eat ice cream sometimes).  I was told that was esophagael spasms.  I never had them without the cold before, but that's what I'm guessing it is.  So, my Dr. didn't seem concerned, and since they have stopped.  I figured the nightmare is over.  Now, I'm confused.  Sorry, for the length, but I do very much appreciate your time and input.
Thank you.
Please read my reply.