Heart Disease Community
Can being over-heated and slightly dehydrated cause tachycardia in the ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Can being over-heated and slightly dehydrated cause tachycardia in the 140's?

Hi All,

OK, I was at an amusement park yesterday with my husband and daughters.  It was about 88 and pretty humid.  I was waiting in the sun while my girls were on the kiddie rides when I felt my heart start to race.  I felt extremely hot and sweaty all day before the tachy hit.  Here's my question...can being over-heated and slightly dehydrated cause tachycardia of 140 or so?  Lately I've noticed that after a hot shower I also have tachycardia.  It lasts about 15 min. and then goes right down.  Am I crazy or is this a body's normal response to being too hot?  Hope you're all doing well!

momto3girls
Hello! I do think that being dehydrated can cause a fast heartrate. I made a visit to the ER for a fast heart rate and chest discomfort ....they told me i was dehydrated and needed to drink more liquids. this is probably your case as well being that it was so hot...im 19 and i go to nursing school your suppose to drink 2400ml of water or gatorade a day !! I also feel a fast heartrate while in the shower as well !!

Hope This Helps !!

Hope This Helps !!
They told me to drink more liquid and eat more salt ..that does kind of equal Gatorade doesn't it? LOLOL