Can blocked arteries open on their own.
Hi, I have my Cardiologist appt tommorow and have lots of questions. This may sound silly, but is it possible that after a heart attack, regardless of size, that if a artery is blocked, it can open on it's own? also is it possible that if you are taking vitamins, can they unclog an artery that is blocked that has caused a heart attack? I know it must be a question someone else out there has had besides me. Thanks so much for any responses. I appreicate it.

fluffypurrcat
Unfortunately, no, arteries do not unclog themselves. There is some data that suggests that an LDL less than 70 can result in some regression of plaque in the arteries but this is still much debated. It usually takes intervention with a stent, angioplasty or bypass to open arteries up once fully clogged. There are some medications available if the blockages are smaller, your cardiologist can discuss the best treament options best.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Jon
I have never heard where vitamins could play a role in "unclogging" an artery.  I'm thinking that blocked arteries don't necessarily open on their own.  But, the human body is amazing in that when we have a blocked artery, sometimes the blood will find its way through an alternate artery. Maybe small particles of plaque can break off, but I don't thing an occluded artery will open on its own.
Good luck tomorrow.  Do write down your questions for the doc, it's easy to forget things you want to know.  Hopefully you can get an angiogram that will answer all the questions you have.  Remember, an angiogram is the best diagnostic tool, in my opinion, that the docs have, and it will reveal your situation.