Heart Disease Community
Can caffeine cause heart problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Can caffeine cause heart problems?

About three weeks ago I chugged one of those energy drinks and almost immediately after  my left shoulder started hurting and i was having chest pains. A few hours later my heart started beating irregularly. I kind of pushed this aside. Then for about 2 weeks my left arm, jaw, neck, chest and back all hurt. This stopped for a few days but then i had lower abdominal pain, which was so bad it somehow caused me to seizure. Now the pain is still in the left shoulder but keeps moving from the right side to the left to the centre of my chest. Is this some sort of heart problem due to the caffeine or is it all some weird coincidence? I havn't been able to get an appointment with a doctor until next thursday.
One energy drink three weeks ago should not have damaged your heart.  I would see a doctor.  I never drank one of those energy drinks or read the ingredients in it, are you sure that caffeine is the only thing whats in there to boost your energy?

Three weeks ago is to long to have these symptoms from an energy drink.  But what do I know I'm not a doctor, but I'd go see one if I were you.

There are people who cannot take regular stress tests on the thread mill because of physical handicaps etc. and these people are given a shot instead which speeds their heart up tremendously.  A friend of mine who has bad arthritis in her knees could not take the regular stress test and was given that shot she said she thought she was going to die from this rapid, pounding heart, and she had no lasting effect, she was fine not to long after her heart slowed down again.  

You had these symptoms to long.  I'd see a doctor and I would definately stay away from energy drinks.

Good Luck !
Caffeine is a well known to trigger heart arrhythmias.  It certainly did that to me on several occasions, and that was only with coffee.  Most energy drinks are loaded with caffeine.