Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can surgery, a clot or Coumadin cause high blood pressure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My husband was injured over in Iraq last year.  He had major surgery on his ankle on 12/4/10 when he got home back to the states.  At the time of the surgery, his blood pressure was normal and he had not been having any issues with it.  He can't remember it every being an issue, except once, he had been stressing about something when they took it about 5 years ago, and it registered high.  It went down when they tested it again, so they figured it was just "white coat syndrome".  

A month or so after the surgery, he was diagnosed with having a clot in his leg, brought on by the surgery.  The put him on Coumadin, which he is still on.  Once he was on Coumadin, suddenly his blood pressure started going up.  Mind you, because he cannot exercise his lower body, he has put on some weight, but is not morbidly obese or anything.  They do not want him doing any lower body exercise until the clot is gone, and he is still in physical therapy trying to learn how to walk again.  

The last three times the doctos have checked his blood pressure, it has been high.  He thought it might be from tobacco chew packets he was using when he got stressed (with his job, stress is an everyday thing).  He stopped using the chew and his blood pressure went back to normal.  That level was about 1-2 weeks ago.  However, he just had a physical today and the BP was high again!  We try to eat healthily and I use organic whenever possible.  Could the surgery, clot or Coumadin have brought on this mysterious high BP out of nowhere?  My husband is very scared right now, as other than losing weight, which is hard for him to do since he can't exercise until the clot is gone, what more can he do?  Thanks.

Kir
1 Comment
Surgery may be associated with an elevation in blood pressure but this is usually very transient and resolves with recovery.  I think this most likely represents essential HTN which is very common.  Some basic lab work and tests should be done to eliminate some of the less common causes of HTN.