Heart Disease Community
Can tachycardia cause/make worse valve regurgitation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I was diagnosed first with IST, later with POTS  back in 2004.  

Now, I have mild valve regurgitation in both the triscupid and mitral valves.  I wonder if anyone has any info on if tachycardia can cause regurgitation and whether if this is the case, if the regurgitation is likely to progress if the tachycardia remains unchecked.  The cardiologist I went to last ordered the echocardiogram and other tests.  He didn't bother to tell me with my follow up about my mild regurgitation in two valves... I found out because someone at his office mailed me the results, so I don't feel comfortable asking him about it.  My 48 hour holter monitor showed a heart rate of over 120 for close to an hour of that time period.  
Anyone?
Mild regurgitation is so common in normal people; what else did they find?   This is no reason for a followup unless they found other problems.
I already knew I had been diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.
Mayo clinic says:
"As many as one in five people over age 55 has some degree of mitral valve regurgitation."

I am in my 30s.

I just found on mayo clinic that it would be a good idea to follow up regarding the triscuspid valve:
"Patients with mild to moderate tricuspid valve defect who have no symptoms may be recommended for careful monitoring through regular medical checkups."

I have a relative who died this year because an infection went to a congenitally defective heart valve, causing a stroke he died of just days later.
Tachycardia should not affect regurgitation.    There are numerous studies on valve regurgitation found by modern echo equipment (more senstive than it used to be)   It found that 62% of normal people have some degree of mitral/tricuspid regurgitation in ages 17-29.    Less likely for aortic valve regurgitation (but still a finding occasionally) in normal people.   As well as the pulmonary valve which is less likely than Mitral and Tricuspid but still found quite often.

Unless they found valve abnormalities in the 2d echo it sounds completely and totally normal.    

FYI, I was 27 when I had an echo for a murmur which they found increased flow across my pulmonary valve... and by chance they also found mild Tricuspid, Trace aortic and trace mitral regurgitation.   The cardio never even mentioned them.
What is a 2d echo?  I haven't had that.  The cardiologist I went to made no mention of the mild tricuspid and mitral valve regurgitation in my own case.  

I do occasionally get sharp left-sided chest pains, (last night more than the norm- maybe due to cyclic ibuprofen?) but am not sure of the source.   They are not crushing or typical heart pain description.  They seem to be higher than my stomach.

I had a 48 hour holter monitor.  My highest tachycardia numbers were from standing up after being in bed.... 152, 148, and 145, 141.   Heartrate was over 120 for 56 minutes, 2 seconds during the 48 hours.  My low HR numbers were 56, 57, and three 59s.

I had only 2 ventricular ectopics both between 6 and 7 AM on the same day.  And there was only 1 supraventricular ectopic between 6 and 7 AM the previous day.

Interpretation was:
"All strips normal sinus rhythm
Tachycardia with hr >120 for 56:02 but no sign of arrhythmia
Otherwise normal holter"

I just counted, and 39 out of the 48 hours, I had heartrate go over 100.  I had an average, they stated of a heart rate of 82 BPM for the 48 hours.

Did you have to get help for your pulmonary valve?
My heart echos also show trace mitral regurgitation and trace tricuspid regurgitation.  My doctor never mentioned this to me either, nor the prolonged QT noted on some ECG's.

As well as central chest pain I also experience sharp left handed chest pain, in which I describe as a deep stabbing pain.

My 24/48hr heart traces always log a mean hr that is standard - and makes no significance of the drastic jumps in my heart rate.

I would be interested if Tachycardia does play a role in this minor defect, and whether it is a common finding in POTS patients.

I have heard on the dysautonomia forum and saw elsewhere that mitral valve prolapse can be connected with POTS, but I have not been diagnosed with this.  I wonder if you would want to suggest to one of the dysautonomia moderators do a poll on how many have mitral and tricuspid valve regurgitation?  It's interesting that the same two valves are affected in both of us.
That would be a good idea, maybe we may find a common finding?  I will leave a message and maybe if they have the time that would be possible x