Heart Disease Expert Forum
Can trimetazidine and coenzime q10 be taken together?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My dad, who is 77, suffered a heart attack 10 years ago. He has recovered really well, but still occasionally develops rather high blood pressure (170/110 the other day, despite taking religiously all his medications), which takes a long time to get back to normal. His cardiologist prescribed to him trimetazidine the other day, and told him he did not need to take coenzime q10 any longer since trimetazidine performed a similar function. I was wondering if it might be safe for my dad to continue to take co-q10 alongside the trimetazidine.
Coenzyme Q is present in a lot of foods and is essentially a vitamin, so  shouldn't be problematic for your dad. It has not been proven to be effective in angina.