Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiac Cath

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cardiac Cath

I have posted questions here berfore and really appreciate the site. My main symptom for about 1 1/2 years has been varios chest pains.    A little ove a year ago I had a stress test with scans and last june I had a holter monitor and Ultra Sound of my heart.  All that was found was an irrregular heart beat that is benign.  I'm now considering a cardiac cath.  I would like to know the pros and cons of a cardiac cath, potential and liklihood of problems during or even on going problems after that could be caused by it if any.   I guess I would just like the low down on it.  I'm a 37 year old white female.  Any information will be appreciated.
Dear love,
The benefit of a heart cath is that it is the "gold standard" as far as detecting coronary artery blockages that could be causing your pain.  It is a fairly low risk procedure.  The disadvantage is that it is an invasive procedure and has some risk.  Risks include bleeding at the site where catheters are placed, dissection of the coronaries and arrhythmias.  Less common risks would include stroke, heart attack and death (rare). There are no long term complications of cardiac cath.
I hope this comment get read by the Doctor.  I forgot to ask.  I have always heard that heart test show what is going on the day of the test and that its kind of hard to have testing wihile your having symptoms.  Is a cardiac cath that way.  Should it not show whatever its going to show regardless of what your symptoms are on the day its being done.  Thank you
i would have the heart cath done! i was scared to have it done, however, my heart dr. suggested, i was hospitalized with angina and when he did the cath. he found i have coronary artery spasm. which now i take imdur (a nitrate) 120mgs twice dialy and norvasc took some time but he almost has it under control.  I also had heart skips lots of them which i was already taking toperal xl 75 mgs daily.  if it were not for the heart cath. he wouldn't have been able to diagnoise my condition.  you do have to be awake for the test. they have me something to relax and somehting else in the iv i hardley remember getting from the table back to my room.  good luck.
I strongly recommend to all who are considering heart caths, to at least check into the risks very seriously. I am not saying you shouldn't have one done, I am sure they can be beneficial to many. However, my grandmother had one done and died from profuse bleeding internally within 48 hours. Doctors say it is rare, but it happened to us.