Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiac MRI Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cardiac MRI Results

Hi CCFMD,

I visited an EP recently (I've already seen cardiologists before), and he said we could do a cardiac MRI since my father died of a heart attack many yrs ago...I've been dealing with palpitations for long time...Recent Holter monitor study showed some junctional tachycardia/rhythm as well as sinus rhythm...Anyway, my cardiac MRI came back completely normal, EF was 57%...I don't see the MD until Jan to go over the cardiac mri study, though a copy of the report was sent to me (actually i had to call THEM to find out about it as i didn't hear back after a week went by)
When i saw the EP he presented options (do nothing, try medication, cardiac MRI), but left it totally up to me....He didn't push any treatment plan, said ball was in my court (so to speak)...Though this was first time i saw him, he had my reports and medical history...

1. Now that ive had 2 completely normal echos and one normal cardiac MRI, is it safe to assume there is no structural heart issues?..

2. Heart conditions like Brugada Syndrome, LQTS, and PVST - do these manifest EARLY in lfe (childhood) or can they come on in adults?....

1 Comment
It is somewhat difficult to comment definitively on the presence of absence of structural heart disease without being able to review your studies, though if you have a normal echo and a normal cardiac MRI, it is unlikely that there is anything structurally wrong with your heart. Brugada syndrome and long qt syndrome are diagnosis that are made after looking at your ECG and are not seen on MRI or echo. Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia is diagnosed by demonstrating episodes of a re-entrant tachycardia on a holter monitor or event monitor. These conditions are not exclusive to any age and can manifest at different times of life in different people. As a side note, echo and MRI unless they are accompanied by a stress test do not evaluate the presence of coronary artery disease(CAD), though your symptoms above do not seem to warrant an evaluation of CAD. I think the best thing to do would be to discuss this further with your electrophysiologist to see if he or she feels that any treatment is needed, though it is very reassuring that your studies are negative thus far. I hope this helps.