Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiac Meds Interaction
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cardiac Meds Interaction

My Mom, 89, is in generally good health. She has been placed on Plavix as a prophylactic measure to mitigate risk of stroke. Prior to being placed on Plavix, she was also using Neuvigil once per day. Now, she is being told that there is an interaction between Plavix and Neuvigil and her cardiologist wants her off the Neuvigil. She has tried to come off the Neuvigil and is having a difficult time as the Neuvigil was helping her to stay awake during the day and also keep her in a good mood. There are no known medical issues (e.g. anemia) that could explain her fatigue other than her age.

I have done quite a bit of searching on this interaction. There are interactions where two meds absolutely cannot be taken together, and there are interactions where it's not so dire, but simply a matter of one med potentiating the concentration of the other.

Which one is this? Can these two meds be taken together ... perhaps if my Mom's INR was monitored for a few months just to ensure that the Plavix dosage doesn't need to be adjusted? Or are these simply two meds that can't be taken together at all?

Thanks in advance.  
1687176_tn?1321401609
Unfortunately, INR monitoring is utilized when patients are on medications that alter the clotting cascade (i.e. warfarin).  Plavix (clopidorel) is a blood thinning medication that acts via a different mechanism and cannot be monitored using an INR.  I am not too familiar with using Nuvigil (armodafinil) although I have not found any reported absolute contraindications with clopidogrel.  If her cardiologist would like her to discontinue her armodafinil, you should ask him specifically what his/her concern is, and/or if there are any other suitable alternatives if your mom is still suffering from daytime somnolence.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity