Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiac Syndrome X
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cardiac Syndrome X

I am a 50 year old woman, about 35 lbs overweight.  About 4 years ago I became short of breath during physical exertion.  I had chest pain, shoulder pain, and pain down my left arm.  I went thru a battery of tests and was told my heart looked extremely healthy, and that (thru exclusion) I was suffering from Cardiac Syndrome X.  I was put on Norvasc, and the symptoms subsided some, enough so that I could now walk to my mailbox.  I get mild symptoms climbing stairs or walking quickly.  I cannot do anything strenuous.

2 questions:
1.  I cannot seem to find a doctor who knows anything about this.  I don't know if I am doing everything/ taking everything I can to make my life better.  Is there some source that I can go to besides my PCP, who seems to not know anything about this.  Even the cardiologist that I went to had no info for me.  To be honest, I pretty much had to "diagnose" myself by looking up everything on the internet.

2.  I am about 35 lbs overweight.  This condition, my age, and my metabolism (plus medications that I take) make losing weight impossible.  I can't exercise much besides walking on flat surfaces (I live in the hills).  I eat right, but wonder if you have any suggestions on weight loss/ exercise for this condition.

I also take Hawthorne Berry (which has helped some) and Co-Q-10.

Please, please... any info you can give me to help would be great.  I am too young to miss out on life.  My family keeps wanting to go on hikes (something I used to do)... they don't understand the pain that I suffer when I attempt to exercise.
Tags: help, Heart, Weight