Heart Disease Community
Cardiac collapsed stent

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Cardiac collapsed stent

Nine months ago I had a double stent placed in my right descending (cardiac).  Just got back from the cath lab. I was told the stent had completely collapsed and there was nothing they could do. I am not a candidate for by-pass as I only have one blocked artery.

Any one have any guidance on where to go from here?

Hard to believe nothing can be done.

THANKS
brian
ide get a second opinion
I second the second opinion comment.  If the artery was "worth" stenting in the first place, having a complete occlusion must warrant something aside from waiting until you are a bypass candidate.  I've heard that new stents can be inserted into older, plugged or damaged stents.  I don't know if you'd be a candidate, but I'd go to a large center for evaluation, like Cleveland Clinic or Mayo.
I had a heart cath 2 weeks ago and right after the procedure, the stent collapsed which caused very bad chest pains.  Went back to the cath lab immediately where they had to put in two more stents.  I was told there is only a 1% chance of a stent collapsing.
I don't understand what they mean by a stent that collapsed.  I don't doubt it happens, I just don't know what that means.  I had the area between two stents rupture because of a tethering effect, or a harmonic vibration.  Is this what they are referring to?  My situation was very rare as well.  

Docs don't like to use up veins for a single artery that is blocked, we only have so many veins so I understand that.  I've got eight stents in two arteries, so the conversation between the docs and I on the subject has taken place.  I'm guessing that the RCA is not your dominant artery, and probably they are going to promote, with drugs and hopefully, exercise and diet on your part, small artery growth that will take the load off the RCA.  That was done with me, and I'm feeling better than I've felt in years.  I would suggest you get a copy of the procedure report, and post it online on this site.  There are some really sharp people who can interpret what is said, and might make sense of things for you.  Best wishes, keep us informed.