Heart Disease Community
CardioNet MCOT vs eCardio ER920W 30 Day Cardiac Event Monitor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Thank you, Doctors, for taking the time to answer our questions.

After having one short event of strong erratic heartbeats a month for 5 months then one lasting about 4 hours and an ER visit my family doctor referred me for a 30 day event monitor. In his defense he had suggested a Holter monitor a couple of times but I declined given the rarity of the events. His suggestion of the 30 day event monitor made sense to me and I was agreeable.

I was provided w/an eCardio ER920W for 21 days. It was simple to use, having 2 leads, right chest and left rib cage. Cellular transmission. I had two events while on it: one critical, one serious. A cardiologist called and suggested ER each time.

I've been on coumadin, a beta blocker and an antiarrhythmic for 9 months now and the cardiiologist has ordered a 21 day event monitor to check the efficacy of the medications. To my knowledge I've had no events since the thrid day of Rythmol, the antiarrhythmic.

This time a CardioNet MCOT arrived at my door. This thing is IMIDATING!!! Multiple components arrived in a huge box. It has 3 electrodes and leads, right chest, left chest and left rib cage vs the ER920W's 2 electrodes, 2 leads. I'm inclined to want to send it back and request the easy to use ER920W.

The only thing holding me back from doing so is the 3 leads rather than 2.

What is the difference between these two event monitors and is the MCOT really going to give us any more or better information than the ER920W??
Medicare and my secondary insurance totally covered the e-Cardio costs. My secondary insurance has refused to pay the CardioNet copay citing it as an experimental device.
Because I am normal healthy person who seemed to be drinking too much coffee and letting work stress me out, my deductable was not met. So even though I was EXTREMELY diligent to make sure I wasn't going to get blindsided by ANOTHER $250 lab bill, the E-Cardio, which I had placed in the doctor's office (told it would be covered by office visit copays) and wore for a week, recording no events (I don't even know for sure that the thing worked - They were supposed to call after 1 day and didn't. They didn't even send a report saying "zero recorded events" to my doctor.), seems to cost about $2,000 to use for a week. Insanity for this little device that probably costs $50 to make... Maybe if I was supposed to keep it but no no no, you have to send it back "or else"... Now I'm getting whacked with a $674 bill that I can't afford to pay. Yes I know that it is the remainder of my $500 deductable and 20% copay, but they did get paid almost $700 from the insurance company too. They are raping the insurance companies for the minimal service they are supplying. This service as with most medical devices and procedures is way too high. Completely rediculous. I think I feel the chest pains returning now... If you haven't met your anual maximum, try to avoid E-Cardio.