Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiomegaly

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cardiomegaly
My brother passed away recently (unexpectedly) at the age of 39.  Health was good.  Very active lifestyle.  After several weeks, the medical examiner's report stated natural causes with a condition of cardiomegaly.  I understand this means enlarged heart but what causes cardiomegaly?  Are there any signs or symptoms of this condition?  Is it heredity?  Is death always the outcome in situations of cardiomegaly?  Can previous 'injury' to the heart cause this condition?  Is it a condition or disease?  Any additional information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.
Guitar67,

Sorry to read of your loss.

Cardiomegaly means "big heart".  It is a description of the heart's size.  The significance of cardiomegaly varies from minimal when the heart is minimally enlarged to quite significant when the heart is quite enlarged.

Many things can cause the heart to increase in size: genetic conditions like HOCM, viral illnesses, exercise, previous heart attacks, inflammation of the heart, heart attacks, drug abuse, uncontrolled hypertension, and others.

It would be worth seeing your primary doctor to see if you have evidence of any heart disease, but chances are none will be found.

Again, sorry for your loss.  Keep us informed if other questions arise.
A related discussion, Cardiomegaly was started.
A related discussion, cardiomegaly was started.