Heart Disease Community
Cardiomegaly

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Cardiomegaly

I recently found out I have an enlarged heart (>55%) when I went to a cardiologist because of jaw pain and heart palpitations. I am a 29 year old female, my total cholesterol is 152 and HDL is 77. Blood pressure is normal.  My parents both have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and my paternal grandfather died of a heart attack in his 50s. The jaw pain is only on the right side and only when I exercise, but the palpitations can be anytime.  I am taking armour thyroid for hypothyroid, as well as Frova for frequent migraine headaches. Could the headaches be related to a heart condition?  Could the jaw pain be related to something other than the heart?  My doctor seems worried about my symptoms, and mentioned that if I was 60 and came in with these symptoms he'd have me in for a heart cath.  But stress test was normal (maybe we didn't go long enough since I didn't get the jaw pain during the test?) and EKG was normal.  The jaw pain is occurring even when I go for walks (doesn't have to be intense exercise).  3 years ago I was running 5 miles a day... now I'm lucky if I can run a mile or two once or twice a week.  I did have extreme fatigue about a year ago but I thought that was from the hypothyroid since that improved once I started taking the Armour Thyroid.  Thanks for any help...
What other testing have they done?  I would want something more with those symptoms.  Have you recently had a baby?  Did they talk about any nuclear imaging, such as a Cardiolite test where they take a look at the perfusion of the heart?  I would be requesting something more.  Age is a factor, but it isn't everything.  Don't let them blow this off.  Something has caused your heart to enlarge, and it might be thyroid-related if you're having trouble with that.  You might have had a cardiotropic virus that affected your heart and you're on the healing end of that now.  I mean, any number of things but I would be looking for an answer.  Best of luck to you.

PS: Cardiomegaly is not a heart condition, it is a symptom of a heart condition.  For example, when a heart is stressed out from high blood pressure it may enlarge.  It doesn't just enlarge for no reason.  This is a symptom that needs to be taken seriously.
Well in 2006 I had a echocardiogram and it said my Left Atruim was enlarge so it is time for them to retest to see if it has improve I do have High Blood Pressure and I have Mild PAH with some Regurgation of both of the heart valves.
Thanks for the comments.  I haven't had any other tests one yet, but I am now scheduled for a heart catheterization after having the same jaw pain again.  I think he wants to do that more because my symptoms are "classic" for coronary artery disease.  I haven't recently had a baby, and they haven't discussed any nuclear imaging with me.  Are those specifically to find the cause of an enlarged heart?  What other tests are included in "nuclear imaging" of the heart?  I would like to research those more if you can give me more information.  

I have had quite a few health problems the past year or two (including the extreme fatigue), and it's interesting to me that the heart hasn't come up until I brought it up a couple weeks ago when I started having the jaw pain.  I do know that the heart doesn't just enlarge for no reason, and that does concern me.  I'm glad that the dr's have taken my symptoms seriously so far... we'll see what the heart cath. shows (that's on 5/20).  

Do you know anything about headaches being related to a heart problem?  And one other question... is the only thing that they can tell from a heart cath if you have any blockages in your arteries, or are there other things that can be seen during the same test?  

Thanks again for you help...