Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiomyopathy and Congestive heart failure
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cardiomyopathy and Congestive heart failure

After a bout of viral pnuemonia (pneumonia), my 76 year old father was diagnosed with chf.  Recently I took him to the E R for heart burn and discoloration of his hands.  The doctor there said that he has irregular heart beats due to cardiomyopathy.  Is this the same as the chf? If not, is this common to have both?  What are some things I should watch for with the cardiomyopathy?
Related Discussions
238668_tn?1232735930
Dear Brenda,
Congestive heart failure describes a set of symptoms that includes shortness of breath, fatigue, swelling and congestion of the lungs.  Cardiomyopathy is a cause of CHF and means "muscular dysfunction of the heart".  There are several different types of cardiomyopathy the most common of which is ischemic cardiomyopathy.  The main symptoms to watch for are an increase in fatigue or shortness of breath, an increase in swelling or rapid weight gain and difficulty lying flat. You should alert his doctor should he have any of these symptoms.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity