Cardiomyopathy and prognosis
Does anyone know what the prognosis of cardiomyopathy is?
My brother has dilated cardiomyopathy with EF 40% and is filling fine (found incidentaly). His left ventricle is mildly dilated. We have no family history of cardiomyopathy. Reading about it makes me very worried. It does not seem many people make it more that 10 years?

They used to say 5 years until a lot of us proved them wrong.  I have dialated cardiomyopathy and have been holding steady with a 33% EF.  I pretty much live the way I want to as long as I pay attention to proper diet and exercise.  Now when the EF was 10-12% I was a noodle, but from 25% and up I was ready to go.  Have been back to work (desk job) for two years.  The hardest part is keeping the sodium intake down, but since I don't want the problems it would cause, I do what I have to do.  The ICD show a lot of activity SVTs etc but unlike many others here I dont notice them.  They act surprised when I tell them that too.
Thanks for your reply. How many years have you had cardiomyopathy?
What was your EF when you were diagnosed? Do you have nonischamic cardiomyopathy? Are you planning transplant?
Nov 05 for Dx.  It is Idiopathic (my Dr says that means none of the idiots can figure it out).  The EF at Dx was 10-12% and they were very grim.  My local Dr sent me to another county who referred me to Mayo transplant center.  I am not "planning" on a transplant, but one never knows.  The Drs at Mayo have been the best working with me.  I am rather fond of my heart and would like to keep it, that is why I try to keep up with the diet and exercise.  Take my meds as directed and not look for excuses to get off track.  
I think prognosis depends very much on how you feel, how you respond to medication therapy and what your cardiac function does.  40% isn't terrible, and mild dilation isn't terrible either, particularly if you can remain stable or especially if you can improve.  Stay optimistic, follow your health care regimen closely and think  positive about your future.
Well, I haven't made it 10 years yet, but it will be 5 this June!  And I was diagnosed with an EF of 15%.  If his is 40% now, with the right drugs and exercise and the right attitude, he could be up to normal in less than 6 months.  You just never know..... some recover very quickly and some it takes a while.  It took me about 3 years to hit 55%, now at 40%, which is plenty.  Be grateful that he has no symptoms!  It could be much worse as I'm sure you know.  Don't believe the stats at all, he will be fine.
Thanks to all of you. He is certainly taking his meds and doing things right in his life. Time will tell but it is hard not to worry. He is young.
It would be nice to hear from people with nonischemic cardiomyopathy that made it 10 year or more.....
I have had NID Cardiomyopathy for 7 years now.  I have a defib and most day I am ok. However lately i have been experiencing an extreme tiredness. my ef is 30% and I work fulltime, but that is all i have energy to do, i come home and go to bed and that is it. am on my feet all day, i walk a lot and I
my ef is 10%
im on meds now and vitimens
no other complications
im 52 years old
started with shortness of breath did some test and found cardiomyopathy
will i get better?
what are my chances to get to 40%?
how long will it take?

thanks

dan
my ef is 10%
im on meds now and vitimens
no other complications
im 52 years old
will i get better?
what are my chances to get to 40%?
how long will it take?

thanks

dan