Heart Disease Community
Cardiomyopathy diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Cardiomyopathy diagnosis

My husband was recently diagnised with cardiopyopathy.  He has an enlarged heart and was experiencing CHF for a month or so without knowing it.  His EF was 10.  They don't know what caused it but suspect a virus.  He is 48 yearls old.  They never asked about cocaine use but he has used cocaine sporadicly in the past 20 years and about a month before diagnosis. He is on beta blockers and diuretics, blood pressure meds and in two months they will tell him if he needs a defibulator put in.  They advised him to cut down to 2 or 3 beers a day and stop smoking and avoid heavy lifting and not much else.  Everything I have read sounds so serious but my husband seems to think he will recieve a clean bill of health and can go back to life as normal.  Can anyone give my some direction or more information?Thank you
I would sugggest you take a look at these links.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/heartfailure/a/CHF1.htm

http://www.chfpatients.com/

The first on is by a cardiologist who answers questions.  The second web site is maintain by a person with CHF.

Good luck!
An EF of 10% is evidence of extremely poor heart muscle function. I am sure, even with his medication regimen, he will probably need a permanent implanted cardiac defibrillator.  This poor ejection fraction, predisposes these patients to cardiac arrhythmias that can cause sudden cardiac death. Often, individuals with an EF this low are recommened for evaluation for a heart transplant.  I don't know what the chances are that his EF will improve.  There is always hope.  But, I feel as though it is extremely important that you be very well informed and educated about what he has so you can get him the right treatment.  Do all the research you can. When something like this happens to you, some people go into a place of denial.  This is the way they cope with it.  I sincerely hope everything works out for both of you. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.    
Be sure to tell the dr about the coke use. Drugs can inlarge the heart and lead to things like this.

I wish y'all the best
thank you for your help and comments. I want to arm myself with as much information as I can so I can help my husband see how serious this is and ask the right questions at his next appointment.  
I'm very sorry about your husband's cardiomyopathy diagnosis.  The previous posts about heart function at 10% were correct, this is about as seriously ill as you can get with this disease without being recommended immediately for a heart transplant.

Cocaine and alcohol are both associated with cardiomyopathies.  He should QUIT BOTH IMMEDIATELY.  I think the doctor allowing 2-3 a day is being largely liberal.  Any alcohol is cardio-toxic.  Typically abstinence is recommended, particularly during this vital stage of trying to treat it.

I wish you luck, and I hope your husband comes around so he can get his health back on track.
It is reasonable to have your son tested.  An echo is non-invasive and if this is a familial cardiomyopathy issue, it would be a good idea to have him checked out.

That your husband is feeling better is a very good sign.  I haven't really heard anything about a so-called "honeymoon period", but then maybe I am out of the loop.  Feeling better likely does indicate the medications are helping, and this may mean an increase in EF.  Which would be awesome.  Some cardiomyopathies respond very well to treatment.  This doesn't mean he can go on with life as was usual for him though - cocaine and alcohol will kill any progress he makes, and possibly him too.

Have that list of questions written down when he goes to the doctor.
your responses have been very helpful.  We have been dealing with this just since Jan. 1st and I have not really known where to turn for practical advice.  He has an appointment this friday and I now have a good list of quetions to ask.  My husband is feeling very good and we are taking that as a sign that the medication is helping but from what I have read it may be a sort of honeymoon period. Any thoughts?  We also recently learned that his biological father died at age 50 from unknow heart complications.  We have a 7 year-old son so I am worried about the heridity factor.
I am suprised that the doctor is allowing 2 - 3 beers a day - now that I know more.  I am certain I can convince my husband that he can not use coke even ocasionally. Giving up beer completely will be tough.  The doctor said his heart will be especially susceptible to alcohol right now.  I need to get him to explain what that means - exactly - to us.  He has not quit smoking but has cut back.  I need to get him to see he may be trading beer and cigaretts for years of his life.  He needs to hear it from the doctors. He won't even look at the information I have found on the web.  This man is the love of my life. I will do anything I can to help him through this and make sure he is with us for as long as possible. Again, thank you for the help and kind words
I am a 29 year old Female. Just diagnosed with Dilalated Cardiopyopathy, heart functioning at 30%, left ventricle damage. Put on Beta Blockers, Blood Pressue Meds, Direrictics. What should I expect and due to stay sane?????
Dilated cardiomyopathy is an enlargement of the left ventricle (pumping chamber).  Functionality of the heart is referred to as EF (ejection fraction) and the numerial represents the percent pumped into circulation with each heart stroke.  Normal is about 55-75%...heart failure is below30% (usually not enough blood/oxygen to meet the system's demand).

Four years ago I was dx'd with congested heart failure and that included pulmonary edema.  Medication is the same as what you are taking.  Beta blocker to slow heart rate, ACE inhibitor to dilate vessels, and for a few months a diuretic.  Today my heart is normal size, EF is in the normal range and I have felt well for many years. The dialtion of my heart was due to being overworked and the medication reduces the workload and the heart had time to recover.

But an enlarged heart is not always secondary being overworked.  There can irreversible heart tissue damage that weakens the heart contractions, and the EF may not return to normal strength, but medication can help live a productive life.

Did you have a heart atttack?  

Hello, Scared Wife......  I am 41 year old Female.

In 2006, I was diagnosed with NonIschemic Cardiomyopathy. My EF was 70%, Now in
1-08 it was 35% and in March of this year it was 20%.  I feel myself slipping fast now, meaning I am tired all the time, my get up and go has got up and went??    I had a defibulator put in on 3-20-8.  I am a widower and I have two small children both under 4 years old.  

I am currently a Law Enforcment Officer in Florida.

I am currently taking coreg 100mg, enalapril, furosemide and lasik,  I can't seem to get a straight answer as to what I can expect in terms of living?  It's a difficult subject few will approach/talk w/me about. I want to know how long i can expect to live or a time frame.

I have starting making sure  my affairs in order,   He had told me that  I am in stage III of heart failure.  I can't find anything on the web to support his theory.   do believe him?    Should a dying person feel like they are dying?  I have trouble breathing sometimes.  I dont smoke/drink nothing.

I also was told i had lung cancer from enviromental causes, years of overseeing a construction site as a superintendant.  I was told I have extensive nodualar infiltrates  (masses on both lungs).  severe lung damage.  The heart doctor said it was not CANCER, but the Pulminary Dr. said it was CANCER.  He said he was a specialist in his field as the cardiologist was a specialist in his.

I am going to have another bronscopy done and then have it sent to the SloanKetteringCancerInstitute for a second opinion. They said they could not consider a heart transplant because of my damaged lungs.  i just need help in someone directing me to a website or something so i can determine what all I need to do.  

Obviously I dont want to die.   I am not scared of dying, i am scared i w/die unprepared for my children.  if you could find it in your heart to help my heart be put to ease, i would be forever greatful.  My mother died when she was 42 of CHF.  my mom always told me

"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin"