Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cardiomyopathy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cardiomyopathy

When I was a teenager i took amphetamines and ectasy over period of about 18 mths.  Probably 1-2g (prob only 10% pure) of speed and 1 ectasy tablet every week to every other week sometimes with a few weeks break inbetween. I also tried cocaine once. After stopping taking all drugs at the age of 18 i became very health conscious. Since that time i have lived a very active life, hill walking etc and have always had a pulse in the 60's. I am now 26 and i had a baby 11 weeks ago. Apart from feeling faint once due to not eating, my pregnancy went fine up to the last couple of weeks when i was found to have a blood pressure of 120/100, proteinuria and some ankle odema. During labour my blood pressure went up to 190/110 and i had twitching in my legs i was rushed in for an emergency cs. 5 days later i was discharged without any bp medication, bp 160/100 and a hgb level of 9. The night after my mum had to call the doctor because my heart was racing.  bp 170/115 sent back to hospital. i was prescibed lebetalol. a week later i collapsed. echo revealed lv dilated to 6cm and a ej of 54%. taken off lebetalol and told that is what made me collapse. diagnosed with pcm and told it was due to the prelampsia and high bp. bp now 100/60 and not on any medication. could my past have anything to do with my condtion? how common is it for amphets to cause cm? from what i have read on medline there are isolated cm but these were addicts who took it every day for years? also could i have gone thru a preg with no probs if i had already had cm? my only sym is a fast heart beat when i stand up 92-100.