Heart Disease Expert Forum
Carotid Bruit

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Carotid Bruit

I am freaking out.  I just had an ultrasound on carotid artery on the sheet it says she picked up a bruit.  
I am so nervous and have to wait until I see the Doctor on Monday.    I had my last ultrasound of artery in
2012 and it was normal, I also had a CT to see if I had any plaque also 2 yrs ago and received a zero.  How in two  year scan I have a blockage?   I am scared to death and now have to wait until Monday.

What is the next step?

Thank you!
I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble.  So for clarification, a "bruit" is a sound your physician hears when examining the carotid artery.  An ultrasound would report a stenosis or narrowing of the artery and probably give a percentage.  If you have had no symptoms and no significant stenosis on your ultrasound or CT, there is nothing to worry about.  Discuss the results with your physician during your appointment.  Good luck!
First are you having problems, why did you have the test if you just had two years ago?

I know that after you have these test they have a dr read them that day to make sure everything is ok, so if there was anything that looked bad they would of let you known and if really bad I am sure you would of been in hospital , I am sure your ok .

What is a Bruit?

Try and calm down , call your dr, and ask tell them how scared you are and that you can't wait till Monday , most will talk to you over phone.
Never mind I went and read about a bruit , I still would call dr see if you can talk to them, even if you can talk to the nurse, it might be nothing and you can relax
I just went through the same thing. I had a carotid doppler study and I have minimal soft plaque on the right side. Nothing on the left. My doctor told me that alot of people in their 50's will start getting some plaque. He picked it up with his stethoscope as a bruit. It's minor, so they do nothing. I just got my report yesterday. I really don't know alot about it.