Carotid Buit Question
I am a health 40 year old woman with no history of high cholesterol or high blood pressure.  I recently went to my PCP for a one year check up and she discovered a carotid bruit on my right side of my neck.  She suggested I go to my cardiologist for a follow-up.  I do have a mild MV, which I've had since a child.  He examined me and also heard the articulation in my neck saying that it definitely sounds like a bruit.  He sent me a doppler yesterday and that was normal.  I'm going for an echo next week.  My mitral valve is very mild and hasn't changed over the years.  When my doctor received the report, he was kind of surprised.  What elese can it be?  Can you hear a bruit and have it be some other crazy diagnosis of something that I am not aware of?  Please provide some info.  I appreciate it.
A bruit is a sound heard as the blood speeds up going through the carotid artery,  Normally  it caused by a slight build up of cholesterol in the artery. An ultra sound will tell you if it is significant, and I don't think it will be. There are times, like in my case, where my harsh systolic murmnur at the arotic hub, is heard in the carotid artery and was nisinterrupted as a bruit. The ultra sound cleared that problem up, a doctor listening is making a subjective analysis, and could be very wrong  The ultra sound will be more objective, and will put your mind at ease, I think