Heart Disease Expert Forum
Carotid bruit
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Carotid bruit

I am a 47yo female, I had doppler ultrasound of carotid artery, found <50% artery thickening, no plaque found, cholesterol 161, HDL 53.  Also have MVP with moderate regurgitation and hypothyroidism.  Exercise very regularly, non smoker, occasional glass of wine.  Healthy eating habits and weight.  Family history of atherosclerosis, father died of heart attack at 54yo (very unhealthy lifestyle).  Blood pressure usually 100/60, occasional palpitations.  Meds: synthroid, inderal, aspirin.  Is there anything else I can do to stay healthy or am I predestined for heart disease or stroke?  
Tags: bruit, mvp
Related Discussions
242508_tn?1287427246
You blood pressure and cholesterol are under good control.  I am assuming that you do not have diabetes.  You have some family history, which unfortunately, can't be modified.  The fact that you exercise, don't smoke and eat a healthy diet are all good and you should keep up with them.  Make sure you have someone follow your MVP and keep taking the synthroid for the hypothyroidism.  I am assuming that the inderal is for palpitations from MVP and the ASA is for pure prophylaxis.  I think you are in good shape.  Keep it up.
3 Comments
Blank
No diabetes.  Inderal is for anxiety, palpatations and menstrual migraines.  I guess my real question is about the carotid artery thickening.  Is this just part of aging?  Should I be worried.  According to my internist it is "minimal".  And, yes, a cardiologist is keeping track of the MVP with yearly echos.  THANKS SO MUCH for the reply!
Blank
242508_tn?1287427246
The thickening does not seem to be atherosclerotic in nature based on your description.  It is part of the aging process, however, should be followed with a yearly ultrasound to look for progression.  If your next US shows progression, starting statin therapy may be indicated.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity