Heart Disease Expert Forum
Carvedilol - mode of action?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Carvedilol - mode of action?

I had and MI, or possibly acute cardiomyopathy) 1 year ago.  I have been told both at different time.   LVEF was 45% 2 months after.   This was first assessment..   due for another soon.   I am on 6.25 mg carvedilol twice a day.   I am not physically restricted - I walk 1 mile or more day and do 10 minutes of other light exercises most days.    My BP runs under 120/80 most of the time.  I understand carvedilol helps prevent stiffening of the heart muscle and can help restore LV function to some degree.  How specially, so it do this?   What is the biochemical mechanism?    
2 Comments
Blank
Dear p1954

Carvedilol belongs to a class of drugs called beta blockers. It is responsible for inhibition of beta receptors present ubiquitously on the heart muscle. By blocking these receptors, it helps prevent the effects of adrenaline/noradrenaline on the heart thereby maintaining a low heart rate and reducing the energy expended by the heart per beat.

CCFHeartMD19
Blank
I have beem taking carvedilol for three years and have never seen a description of it so concise and clear. Thank you
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank