Carvedilol???
My dad was recently diagnosed with CHF and was given Carvedilol. He is taking 12.5 mg twice a day. His blood pressure is well controlled now that he is on the pill, but there have been 3 times when his blood pressure drops way too low and he feels like fainting. Is that normal?How long does it usually take to get used to the drug?
The main effect of  Carvedilol it is not to low the BP but to reduce the heart rate. Does he take other medication?

It normally takes 3-4 weeks to get used to the medication, anyway, if his body behaves like mine, days of low BP can appear at any moment .... I am on the same dose of it for more than 4 years and right now I am having days in 80/40 range, but I am in a lot of other medications.

Jesus.

Carvedilol will lower blood pressure...  if your Dad continues to respond to the dosage by fainting you should consult your doctor about lowering the dose...a slightly higher  blood pressure is far better than falling and fracturing a hip.  
Just for your information you can get the facts from the NIH web site on Carvedilol----- a direct quote from their web page is below.

"Carvedilol is in a class of medications called beta-blockers. It works by relaxing blood vessels and slowing heart rate to improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure"

I have low blood pressure, usually no higher than 100/60, often a bit lower. I was given an extremely small dose - but only when my systolic pressure was 100 or above. They eventually gave up on it altogether, not wanting to take any chances.