Heart Disease Expert Forum
Catheter Ablation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Catheter Ablation

I've had three Catheter Ablations for Ventricular Tachycardia and to try and get rid of PVC's.  I'm thinking about doing another ablation at a better hospital.  My question is, When is it too much?  I've heard that the radiation could be a problem.  How many is too many, and what kind of risks occur from "too many ablations" ?

One more question.  Isn't there a way to prevent VT and PVC's through a pace maker?  wouldn't it be possible to ablate the normal electrical system above the ventricals, and then pace the heart artifically?

Thank You
Ben
Dear Ben,
There's not really a 'limit' on the number of ablations an individual can have.  It's true that the radiation exposure is a limiting factor but for an average individual multiple ablation procedures would not add up to enough to be harmful. Remember that the doctors who do the procedure are doing this every day, day in and day out. (Of course they use lead shielding and monitor their radiation exposure very closely but it still adds up to more than you will ever receive).

The AV node can be ablated and the ventricle paced with a pacemaker but this would be a last resort only.
I too have VT, but have an ICD and am interested in ablation. Is the therapy advancing with different techniques? Has anyone out there had success with VT ablation?
Jason,
My doctor has done many VT ablations.  He claims that the chance of success is about 85%.
I've had Arrythmias of some sort since age 19 (I'mm now 44). I've been hospitalized 3 times in the last 2 months with A-Fib. Typical drugs like Quinidine, Tambicor, etc cause Torsades & V-Tac so they are out. Atenolol & Lanoxin keep my rate down when I go into A-Fib but don't prevent it anymore. I'm considering an Ablation, although I'm told it's less successful for A-Fib than other forms of SVT. Has anyone out there been "healed" of A-Fib by ablation? I've been told it can take 6-8 hours to perform - is it a nasty procedure?
Randy,  I had an ablation almost two years ago, and was very happy to get rid of the strong meds.  It was done as outpatient, had it done at 830 am and at noon was released and did lunch .The procedure went real fast maybe half hour or so, I didnt feel a thing, it was not unpleasant at all.  My quality of life has improved 100%, since I no longer take the strong meds. I  still have AF once in a while, but not as severe as before and I take  25mg of atenol and it helps.   I also have a pacemaker.  Good Luck to you.
af
A related discussion, Will my PVC's go away?? was started.