Heart Disease Community
Cayenne and Hawthorn - Thickening Heart Valve

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

My cardiologist says my heart muscle itself is strong, but there is mild thickening of the heart valve.

My question is---

Can regular use of Cayenne and Hawthorn reduce the thickening? I know that Hawthorn is typically given to treat some heart stuff and Cayenne can act as a natural blood thinner... Just figured I'd ask, cause I'd be nice to find a way to naturally thin them back down while they're still mild.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cayenne and Hawthorn are herbal products. And unless scientific studies have been done to justify their use, I cannot comment on their usefulness. You can exercise regularly and eat a heart healthy diet to promote your health.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have never heard of anything that you can take by mouth that will reverse thickening of the heart valves.  The action of a "blood thinner" is completely different than what you are talking about.  The medications that people refer to as blood thinners are actually substances that make it harder, by  various mechanisms, for blood to clot.  Taking a blood thinner would have no effect on the structure of a heart valve.  You will need to have the valve monitored.  Depending on what the valve does in the future, you might or might not end up needing surgery to repair or replace it.  

As Dr. Paderla Anitha states, living a healthy lifestyle is always good.  It might not reverse your valve disease, but it will make you better able to cope with whatever happens to the valve.  
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
SUNRIYZMT is ...freakin out waiting o... Comment
May 28
Infowars commented on The Turbinates: What ...
May 28
suzukijax added the Blood Pressure Tracker
May 27