Heart Disease Community
Change from Metoprolol to Bisoprolol

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Change from Metoprolol to Bisoprolol

I have been taking Losartan 25mg in the morning and 25 metoprolol succinate ER in the evening. My BP in the morning always ranges from 120/70 to 130/80 and evening it goes upto anywhere between 140/80 to 150/90 and some times even 160/100(rarely- but had readings like that). My HR in the morning is aroung 70 BPM and increases to around 90 in the evening. My Echo, Treadmil test is normal and borderline cholestrol(total-220, HDL 47, LDL 125, TGL on the higher side 330) so doc prescribed Atorvastatin 10mg and taking and now the levels are settled to very normal. When I met the cardiologist last week the BP was 160/95 and HR 84 BPM. The Doc also changed my med from Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg to Bisoprolol 5mg once daily in addition to Losartan 25 in the morning. I am too scared to take the new med as I read 5 mg is equivalent to Metoprolol 100mg. I am scared to take in the night due to the fear of hypotension and low pulse rate. But the doc assured that nothing would happen but I am too scared to take an initial dose of 5mg Bisoprolol straightaway....Want all you peoples help in this regard and advice me whether I could go ahead with Bisoprolol 5mg without any fear....Thanks in advance...
Tags: metoprolol, Bisoprolol, metoprolol bisoprolol switchin
I am so confused. You say there is nothing wrong with your heart? yet you are on beta blockers and your Doctor wants to put you on the most potent one available? I can understand the Atorvastatin, but why a beta blocker? I can tell you that people react very differently to Bisoprolol, I could only manage 1.25mg. When they tried 5mg my heart rate dropped to 25 when sleeping. There are better ways to aim at blood pressure when there is no issue with the heart, such as a good ace inhibitor like Ramipril. 5mg of Ramipril sorted out my BP because the Bisoprolol didn't affect it, unless I was overdosed.
I think you are wise to question the decision.
What have they decided is your average blood pressure during the day?
Thnak you very much for the reply..But I am an anxious person and  was prescribed beta blocker(Metoprolol ER 50mg and Amlong which was changed to 25mg metoprolol ER and Losartan 25mg after 4 years). Yes I dont have any heart problems and nothing in my family and also not diabetic. My age is 40. Still taking metoprolol only and will go for a review soon and would sort things out. I am happy with metoprolol 50mg ER to Bisoprolol 5mg...More suggestions needed on this
How are you these days? I was on Lozartan Hydrothiazide for several months. Then I was surprised by a 180/120 bp a week ago. I am now into clonidine, metoprolol 100mg and lozartan hydrothiazide for 4 days already. My bp is now stable at 130/90 since 4 days ago.