Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest Pain Everyday

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chest Pain Everyday

Hi, i've been having chest pain on and off everyday for the past 6 days. It seems to start shortly after i get up to start my day and continues throughout the entire day. It's very uncomfortable to say the least. A good while back i was having the same problem everyday for many months, almost everyday, and i went to the doctor to have a catscan on the chest and ultrasound as well for any other problems and nothing ever came back as abnormal. I need to know something because the chest pain had went away for almost a year or so and i assumed what ever it was had gone and was going to stay that way,but now it's back. I don't believe it to me any thing related from stress or anxiety, so i'm baffled.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Josh,
Its a bit difficult to know exactly what is going on without seeing you in person and knowing more about your history (especially things like your age, family history, smoking history, etc).  Chest pain can be caused by many things, but the ones that are most concerning (i.e. life threatening) are things like an aortic dissection (which would have been seen on the CT scan you had done), a pericardial effusion (which would have been seen on the ultrasound of the chest/heart), and coronary artery blockages.  If you are an older male who has risk factors for coronary artery disease, than starting with a test like a stress test (which can be done in multiple different ways) can show if there is any evidence of a blocked artery.  If you are a young patient with no risk factors for coronary artery disease (no family history, no high cholesterol, no smoking history, no high blood pressure, etc), than it is unlikely that your pain is coming from blockages in the coronary arteries and your symptoms are likely from a "noncardiac" source which could include musculoskeletal pain (from strained muscles, etc), esophageal spasm with acid reflux (which often mimics heart pain), pericarditis (inflammation of the sac surround the heart caused most commonly by a virus), or a variety of other less dangerous problems.  Hope that helps!
Thanks for your comment. I'm still having the pain, though it seemed to have went away for a couple days, but it's been bad lately. Severely uncomfortable at times. I'm 28 yo male and i'm about 200 lbs, take Nexium, exercise, haven't smoked in almost 3 years, have PACs. I'm not sure if this could help you make any further assessments.
also the outside of chest feels slightly bruised and sore