Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest Pain While Jogging/walking fast

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chest Pain While Jogging/walking fast

Basic information: 21 year old male, 135 pounds, non smoker.

I sought out a doctor due to chest pain while I was running one day. It continued to happen. The pain was located in the middle of my sternum, near the left side. It was kind of a sharp/achy pain that subsided shortly after I stopped and rested.

I was at the Mayo Clinic and they did a heart MRI with contrast, an echo and a stress echo. I've also have a CT scan with contrast to evaluate my coronary arteries. I've also been seen by a lung doctor who evaluated my lungs and ordered a couple of tests for my lungs.

All the tests, according to the doctors, were normal. They couldn't get a good look on the stress echo though because I have a mild chest deformity that was blocking their view. They also said that my ECG would change when I started exercising. They mentioned something about ST changes. But they said they aren't specific or significant.. I can't remember which word they used.

Anyway, they put me on an exercise plan because I am deconditioned. They told me to just start walking only. So I have been, and the chest pain started again.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause for the chest pain? Could it still be my heart?
There are very many potential reasons for chest pain. It may originate in the muscles and tissues of the chest wall, the heart, the lungs etc. It is difficult to reach a concrete diagnosis via the Internet but you describe a comprehensive evaluation which has shown no definite signs of heart disease. The coronary CT angiogram which was used to evaluate the blood supply to your heart is a good test for showing impaired blood supply and this was normal.
If you continue to have exercise related chest pain, you can discuss the possibility of getting a coronary angiogram with your cardiologist. During this test the cardiologist can directly visualize the heart’s blood vessels and see whether or not significant blocks to blood flow exist. In the context of a negative coronary CT angiogram, this too might show that the blood supply to your heart muscle is good.
Sorry, I meant to write Dull/achy instead of Sharp/achy.

Also, I wanted to add some information to my basic info. My cholesterol levels were normal last time I checked, my blood pressure is usually around 100/60, and I have no knowledge of any family history in terms of heart problems.

And to clarify on my comments about the ECG changes during the stress tests I have had.. the doctors said that the changes were indicative of ischemia, but that they didn't see anything on the echo portion "from the images they had available."  

Thanks.