Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest Pain at the Incision Site 3 yrs after ByPass

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm a 53 year old male who had triple bypass surgery 3 years ago.  I've had two issues since:  1st, I suffered SVT while at the end of a neuclear stress test a year ago and two other episodes while playing softball.  I've found as long as I don't compete competetively, I do not have that problem -- just info for anyone interested.  The 2nd issue -- and very bothersome to me, is pain at the incision site that started about 4 months ago (2.5 years after bypass).  The pain can be very intense and worsens with the slightest finger pressure.  The pain is not present all the time but comes and goes throughout the day.  When experiencing the pain just moving either arm, or rotating my upper body can make it worse -- even picking up a gallon of milk.  My cardian surgeon states it is probably scar tissue .... FYI -- I had the pain for a couple of months and it eventually went away, however, last 3 to 4 weeks its come back... Please Help!
I assume that there is no redness, or fluid discharge at the site, but this is most likely related to either a retained temporary pacing wire or malpositioned sternal wire ( the initial bond that keeps the sternum together). I would recommend a CT scan of the chest to rule out any insidious infection and to see exactly were the sternal wires are located, and if any retained pacing wires remain. And of course avoid the activities which exacerbate the pain until the reason is uncovered.
Thank you for the reply ... there is no redness, or discharge.  Considering the items you mention, what would the correction be?  Would they have to open my chest back up?

Thank You soooo, much -- what a great service you provide.
My husband also has discomfort at his incision area after 1 year and complains daily about surface chest pain over the mamory artery  area (used for graft).  He has been told that it doesn't have anything to do with his heart, but bothers him way too much.  There is no sign of infection.  Is this similar to yours?
I had double pypass in 1991 and have PAIN  all around the incision and about 10 inches out.
The worl famous clinic where I had my surgery has made me feel like a fool for all these years saying that I had a PAIN SYNDROME. The fools can not get it in their heads that I have ACTUAL severe pain in my chest wall. I have gone the route of the pain clinic ( do not recomend) and I have gone thru the internet seeking others with the same problem. Found 8 people with same problem. The doctors cut the Thorasic nerve and THAT causes the problem. Also, not admitting that they made a mistake causes a problem. They are not helping because that would mean addmitting there is a problem.
I have lost real quality of life because of that. But, I am alive!
A related discussion, sternum suture working its way out post op 2yrs??? was started.
A related discussion, Shortness of breath was started.