Heart Disease Community
Chest Pain better with Nitro
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chest Pain better with Nitro

I'm a 44 year old female.  In January, I had an episode of severe crushing chest pain that came on suddenly.  I went to hospital emergency room....it was made better with nitro.  I had 2 days of tests (echo, stress test, etc) all showed my heart to be fine.  My gallbladder had been removed 3 weeks prior to this incident, and all the doctors agreed that the pain may have been related to that.  One of the factors that led to that diagnosis was that during a second episode (that occurred approx 2 hours after arriving at the hospital) I was given moriphine which made the pain worse.  Someone said something about how the liver handles moriphine....not really sure.  Anyway, I went home, told I was okay and that this was something that was common post-gallbladder removal, and not to worry.  Since January, I had about 7 similiar episodes.  Each time the pain was severe, crushing, in the middle of my chest, radiating to both of my jaws.  3 of the episodes were while I was performing physical activities.  The others just happened, no real trigger could be identified.  There was no common food involved, no excessive stress.  Anyway, I assumed it was not my heart, took an asprin (just in case) and the severe pain would last about 15-30 minutes.  After each episode, my chest would feel sore to the touch, like I'd been injured.  In November, I had a particularily terrible one so I again went to the doctor.  My EKG was normal, but my diastolic blood pressure was high (in the 90's) although my systolic was in the 120's.  They did a heart cath, which showed no damage or blockage, but did say that the "blood pressure" within my heart was high.  They put me on Cardizam which has completely fixed the blood pressure issue (now 120/60).  They also gave me nitro.  This weekend, I had another severe episode, I did not go to the hospital (as I have been told my heart is okay).  I took the nitro and 5 minute later the pain was gone.  I guess my question is, if my heart is okay, why does the nitro work?  I still don't know why I keep having these episodes, which are terrible.  I am otherwise healthy and take no medication other than Nexium (which they gave me after the gall bladder problem....something about bad bateria in my stomach) and the Cardizam (just prescribed).  In January, they did a CT scan (thinking maybe it was a blood clot in my lung) but the only thing they found was a small cyst on an ovary (which everyone said was okay to leave along).  Any ideas what this can be, and why it improves with nitro?
Tags: Pain, Chest