Heart Disease Community
Chest Pain on left side of chest

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Chest Pain on left side of chest

I have pain on the left side of my chest about 1 inch above the nipple.  Sometimes it is really sore, others i only notice it if i push to see if it still hurts.  I am worried that it might have somthing to do with an artery or vein or something.  It is not a sharp pain or anything but it is always atleast sore deep inside the left side of my chest. I am 46 years old.
Given the fact it is above your left nipple, it does not sound like it is directly related to your heart, that is way too far over to be considered heart-related if my current knowledge serves me correctly.

How deep is the pain, does it feel like it is just under your muscle? Is it right under the skin maybe?

It hurts when you push on it, which wouldn't really indicate a vein or artery as far as I know, I would be more inclined to say it has something to do with your rib or muscle, I obviously don't know for sure but I don't think pressing on a vein would cause any pain as far as I know. Usually if its muscular in nature, pain can be elicited by pressing on it. There have been some occasions where I'm laying on my arm when I sleep and I get an intermittent ache on the left side of my chest, but it feels like it is just under my skin, or in my muscle. When you apply pressure to it, does the pain stay localized in one area or does it radiate? Any dizziness or lightheadedness when it happens?

Of course if you keep pressing on it you will probably irritate it if it is muscle-related.

may be a muscle, but i have done nothing to hurt it and it is just in that on spot about 2 or 3 fingertips wide.
Hmmm, kind of hard to really say with absolute certainty but it seems to be muscle-related.

I know that people can get muscle aches for no reason sometimes, I don't how that happens but it can occur. You haven't done anything to stress it or anything like that?