Heart Disease Community
Chest Pain with Normal Tests?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Chest Pain with Normal Tests?

Hello!
A few weeks ago I went to the ER because I was feeling a bit odd and when I took my pulse it would beat a few times, then stop for a few seconds, then start up again.  Chest X-ray came back normal, blood tests only showed low potassium, EKG showed PVCs.  
Once the potassium returned to normal, the PVCs stopped!  However, I am having chest pain.  It is on both the right and left sides, starting in the middle by the breastbone and radiating outward.  Sometimes it's a short sharp pain, sometimes less intense but broader.
I had a stress echo.  They said everything looked great.  I'm 30 years old, small frame and have a resting HR of 55-60.  The stress echo brought the rate all the way up to 185, so I'm sure they would have caught any major problems, right?

Anyway, the chest pain persists and I am embarassed to go back to my doctor about it because he told me at the last visit that I'm in great health.

Several years ago, I had endoscopy done as part of an investigational project at a gastro. clinic.  Turns out I was diagnosed with GERD and put on Protonix.  I stopped taking it when I got pregnant and never resumed it.  Could it be that this pain is GERD once again?  I don't remember having pain with it the first time, the diagnosis was totally unexpected.

I'm wondering if there are any other tests the doctor should have run?  I should also mention that cardiac enzyme and troponin all came back negative.  

I am getting very concerned about what is wrong with me.  I am worried that I have some condition that's going to lead to me dropping dead or something..... Any time I google 'chest pain' it always seems like it's something serious....
Hi there.

I am glad that to see that you went to ER and got answers.  The irregular pulse you described was clearly due to low Potassium.  A stress heartrate of 185 is a bit high, but I am sure the doctor would have send you to a Cardiologist if he suspected anything.

GERD can definitely cause chest pains.  I would suggest that you start drinking the Protonix again and see if the chest pains are still there after about 2 weeks on meds.  Also remember to eat small, frequent meals and nothing at least 2 hours before you go to bed and remember to sleep with your head elevated.

keep well :)
Potassium definitely has a huge effect on heart rate!  Too little can cause irregularities, but too much can as well so be careful if you choose to supplement.  The best way is to eat healthy and get what you need through foods naturally.  Make sure you get enough calcium, magnesium (should be ~1/2 calcium intake), and potassium.  
I just had a stress test for chest discomfort and it came out normal. My doctor is trying me on Gerd medication because he said that can cause chest discomfort. I was surprised because I don't have the ususal acid reflux symptoms except for an unexplained cough. I was surprised to learn that gerd can cause chest pains, but I guess it's true! He said it would take at least two months on the medication to see if my smptoms are lessened.