Heart Disease Community
Chest Pops or 'cracks' occasionally

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Chest Pops or 'cracks' occasionally

I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate section or not, i was gonna post in orthopedics, but there was no fitting topic.

Recently, in the past two weeks or so, when i sneeze to hard my chest pops, it doesn't hurt, it feels like any joint cracking, but unless i missed that day of anatomy class there is no joint in your chest. It also happens sometimes when i stretch, pushing my shoulders back and my chest out. It causes mild pressure in my chest for a few moments, but not long, and its not painful. I'm a 19 year old male, i'm 5'7 and 145 lbs, i have been diagnosed with chronic pvc's a few years back. but i really don't think thats related.

I just want to know if this is something serious or not, should i see a doctor about it? I should note that i'm trying to join the coast guard and this would undoubtedly stall the process for a few months, and if its not too serious i would want to wait until i know if i'm in or not, then report the problem to them if i still have it.
Avatar n tn
Well you will be pleased to know that there are joints in your chest!!! the ones between your ribs and your sternum/spine. When you stretch you create a little traction in one of those joints and that gives a popping sound. Similar sound to when one has joint manipulated....
Right - there is cartilage between the ribs and the sternum. That allows for some flexing I suppose. It's not a pivotal or hinged joint like you may think of with knees and ankles. But perhaps the chest area could "pop" as you call it.