Heart Disease Community
Chest Vibration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Chest Vibration

For the past couple of months I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a vibration in my left chest area.  Something similar to what you might feel if you have your cell phone on vibrate in your chest pocket and a call came in.  The episodes are a few seconds in length, but happen countless times during the day.  However, I do not seem to notice them during sleep.  There is no pain associated with the episode itself, but sometimes I feel pain in other areas afterwards.

I have gone to my soon to be former PCP regarding this situation.  He referred me to a cardiologist who had several EKG's, a cardiac ultrasound, and a 24 hour Holter monitor done.  The results of all of these studies were essentially normal.  Because of that, both physician's condsider that they have "done their job."  My PCP has basically told me to "go talk to someone about it", if this situation is becoming all consuming to me.  In other words, he is basically diagnosing this as panic disorder, however, he refuses to treat the panic, or offer me other alternatives to investigate.

I have searched high and low to an answer to this problem to no avail thus far.  Can anyone offer any thoughts on this?
Did you experience the vibration during the 24 hour holter? If not I would certainly insist on a 30-day monitor.

Maybe not cardiac but neurological? I have a lot of sensory disturbances related to multiple sclerosis - but without any other symptoms I'm not sure you'll get anywhere.

Unfortunately in my experience you have to wait until things get worse to actually get a diagnosis. Good luck!
Have you had a chest x-ray?  I ask only because this could be related to your lungs, not your heart.  If you had a small blockage or mucus build up in your lungs, it could manifest itself as a vibration upon breathing inward.  This would not necessarily happen every time you breathe.  Especially if it is related to a mucosal build-up, the vibration would only occur when the mucus was dislodged and therefore "vibrating" with the intake of breath.

I get this weird thing when I have a chest cold.  Having had asthma much of my life, I was well aware of the sensation, but many people would not necessarily notice it.  I do not always have a cough or "tickle" when this happens, but that weird vibration is a dead giveaway for me.

Also, if you experienced the vibration during the holter monitoring and nothing showed up then you can rest assured that whatever it is, it is not related to your heart rhythm.  Unfortunately, if your cardiologist saw a benign arhythmia (PVC's, PAC's) that were few and far between, h/she could have dismissed the EKG as "normal" and not given you the satisfaction of at least knowing that there was a reason for your odd sensations.  You have a right to read the holter results.  You may want to do that....or at least get a copy for your "new" doctor.

I do suggest that chest x-ray though.  A vibration in the chest could have so many non-cardiac causes that simply dismissing your concerns because your EKG was normal doesn't seem "thorough" to me.

Good luck,
This sounds exactly like my situation. A few months ago I had some weird heart episodes that seemed to be triggered by drinking alcohol, caffeine and eating greasy food. I also experienced nausea and ended up losing 25 pounds in 5 months. I went to the doctor with my primary concern being my heart. They did a few EKGs, some blood work and a 24 hour holter monitor. All of these came back normal. I reduced my alcohol intake and stopped drinking energy drinks. The episodes subsided, but I have still been feeling this odd chest vibration for the past 3 months. It is almost always on the left side and sometimes a tightness feeling comes and goes.

My doctor now firmly believes that there is nothing wrong with my heart and attributes any feelings I have to anxiety. Thus, I am left to simply hope the feelings go away some day. It is frustrating because the vibrations are quite annoying and seem to trigger more anxiety. Has anyone experienced these and had them go away eventually?
This week I started getting vibrations on my right side. First I thought it was my heart..but it seems to be more towards the center of my right breast. It lasts like 3-4 seconds..enough time for me to pay attention and put my hand on it to see if I can really feel something.But I can't with my hand and it stops. It is a really weird feeling. But I'm not dizzy or faint or nauseas  or anxious. I did start taking a decongestant early this past week. I'm not sure if it was the same day or not. But I'm still taking one 24 or 12 hr capsule of pseudoephedrine. I'm going to use my vibrating massager there and see if it dislodges something.