Heart Disease Community
Chest Vibration
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chest Vibration

For the past couple of months I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a vibration in my left chest area.  Something similar to what you might feel if you have your cell phone on vibrate in your chest pocket and a call came in.  The episodes are a few seconds in length, but happen countless times during the day.  However, I do not seem to notice them during sleep.  There is no pain associated with the episode itself, but sometimes I feel pain in other areas afterwards.

I have gone to my soon to be former PCP regarding this situation.  He referred me to a cardiologist who had several EKG's, a cardiac ultrasound, and a 24 hour Holter monitor done.  The results of all of these studies were essentially normal.  Because of that, both physician's condsider that they have "done their job."  My PCP has basically told me to "go talk to someone about it", if this situation is becoming all consuming to me.  In other words, he is basically diagnosing this as panic disorder, however, he refuses to treat the panic, or offer me other alternatives to investigate.

I have searched high and low to an answer to this problem to no avail thus far.  Can anyone offer any thoughts on this?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Did you experience the vibration during the 24 hour holter? If not I would certainly insist on a 30-day monitor.

Maybe not cardiac but neurological? I have a lot of sensory disturbances related to multiple sclerosis - but without any other symptoms I'm not sure you'll get anywhere.

Unfortunately in my experience you have to wait until things get worse to actually get a diagnosis. Good luck!
Blank
255722_tn?1333378910
Have you had a chest x-ray?  I ask only because this could be related to your lungs, not your heart.  If you had a small blockage or mucus build up in your lungs, it could manifest itself as a vibration upon breathing inward.  This would not necessarily happen every time you breathe.  Especially if it is related to a mucosal build-up, the vibration would only occur when the mucus was dislodged and therefore "vibrating" with the intake of breath.

I get this weird thing when I have a chest cold.  Having had asthma much of my life, I was well aware of the sensation, but many people would not necessarily notice it.  I do not always have a cough or "tickle" when this happens, but that weird vibration is a dead giveaway for me.

Also, if you experienced the vibration during the holter monitoring and nothing showed up then you can rest assured that whatever it is, it is not related to your heart rhythm.  Unfortunately, if your cardiologist saw a benign arhythmia (PVC's, PAC's) that were few and far between, h/she could have dismissed the EKG as "normal" and not given you the satisfaction of at least knowing that there was a reason for your odd sensations.  You have a right to read the holter results.  You may want to do that....or at least get a copy for your "new" doctor.

I do suggest that chest x-ray though.  A vibration in the chest could have so many non-cardiac causes that simply dismissing your concerns because your EKG was normal doesn't seem "thorough" to me.

Good luck,
Blank
This sounds exactly like my situation. A few months ago I had some weird heart episodes that seemed to be triggered by drinking alcohol, caffeine and eating greasy food. I also experienced nausea and ended up losing 25 pounds in 5 months. I went to the doctor with my primary concern being my heart. They did a few EKGs, some blood work and a 24 hour holter monitor. All of these came back normal. I reduced my alcohol intake and stopped drinking energy drinks. The episodes subsided, but I have still been feeling this odd chest vibration for the past 3 months. It is almost always on the left side and sometimes a tightness feeling comes and goes.

My doctor now firmly believes that there is nothing wrong with my heart and attributes any feelings I have to anxiety. Thus, I am left to simply hope the feelings go away some day. It is frustrating because the vibrations are quite annoying and seem to trigger more anxiety. Has anyone experienced these and had them go away eventually?
Blank
This week I started getting vibrations on my right side. First I thought it was my heart..but it seems to be more towards the center of my right breast. It lasts like 3-4 seconds..enough time for me to pay attention and put my hand on it to see if I can really feel something.But I can't with my hand and it stops. It is a really weird feeling. But I'm not dizzy or faint or nauseas  or anxious. I did start taking a decongestant early this past week. I'm not sure if it was the same day or not. But I'm still taking one 24 or 12 hr capsule of pseudoephedrine. I'm going to use my vibrating massager there and see if it dislodges something.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
Blank
skydnsr
Blank
Occupant
IL
329165_tn?1412685860
Blank
Smiley2000
Australia
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
ejoli commented on HectorSF's status
Dec 26
Blank
astababba added the Complete Blood Count Tracker
Dec 26
Blank
Paxiled commented on How much arsenic is i...
Dec 26
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979