Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest and abdominal discomfort

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chest and abdominal discomfort

A couple of months ago I started to have some abdominal discomfort right below my rib cage in the centre also my chest would become quite tight sometimes there would be slight pain around the heart area.
I went to my local doctor who
Hi JRJ,

This does not sound like angina.  All the tests so far point away from your heart as the cause of these symptoms and it is very rare for someone your age to have angina, especially with all these normal tests.  Angina does not usually cause abdominal pains and most importantly, angina is usually provoked by exertion.  It sounds like your pain is more constant.

The easy part is telling you it doesn't sound like heart related symptoms, I am not sure what is causing your symptoms.

I hope this atleast helps reassure you that these are probably not cardiac symptoms and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Good luck and thanks for posting.

I know the general rule because I suffer from costochondritis(inflammation and tenderness where the ribs connects to the sternum and also the intercostal spaces, usually without swelling), the general rule is usually if something hurts more when you press your chest wall area it is very unlikely to be related to the heart or lungs, it is more likely musculoskeletal. I am not a doctor, i have only been told this by my cardiologist, this might not apply to your symptoms at all, hope you feel better soon, I know how ditressing it can be.
Funny you posted this question. I just in fact  had the same thing on wednesday. I called the er the doc was not worried. Although I did have this in june also went to the er, and man they hooked me up to the iv, ekg, did blood work up gave me baby asprin, and wanted to give me nitro but I declined. My pain is sometimes well alot of the times right in the dead center of my chest it feels as though someone is ripping everything right out it comes it goes and it comes some more and goes. However when I had this in june it was more just below my left breast dead center below it the size of a quarter and on Wednesday the same thing it came left and came back harder and stronger and I was really freaking and like I said the doc said just relax, well I was a bit more worried than he was due to the fact I just had an ep and ablation a month prior to this. So any way I took a long shot and ate two tums and almost instantly the pain went away and never came back. I was quite surprised to this. But very happy. The esopegeal is right there so I guess it had something to do with that. So maybe its worth a try maybe it to will help you. good luck
wmac
I had this happen, and it still does bother me from time to time. It may only be a little acid reflex.
Get some thing over the counter, Prilosec and try it for 30 days,

Ron
Prompt what better to try! On what to stop the attention from this set??
http://www.xanax2.cheap-buy-free-online.com
http://www.Phentermine2.cheap-buy-free-online.com
http://www.valium2.cheap-buy-free-online.com
http://www.hydrocodone2.cheap-buy-free-online.com
http://www.Carisoprodol2.cheap-buy-free-online.com

What preparation of dependence has less??
I, too , have chest pains( for years) and after many visits to my GP and also a cardiologist, the cardiologist said that the pain is not the heart. The pain is a quick and does not get worse by excercise. It is still hard to convince myself of this,   but sometimes I actually excercise and the feelings get less. It is not helpful that my beats seem irregular but those also were explained that the extra beats become more regular and therefore beningn. It is still a Bother at best. I am a hypochondriac I am sure and a Cardiophob to boot. Although an anxious 57 year old man, I would LOVE to conquer this PHOBIA nad get on with my life.
Peter
Wow!  I thought I was alone!  I've had a lot of the same symptoms that I read here.  My pain started about a year ago.  The pain is located in the center of my chest just below the ribcage.  It's really not even a pain, but a discomfort.  It is persistent and extremely annoying.  I have been tried on Protonix, Tums and Prilosec.  I also have another continuing pain on both my breasts (I'm a guy by the way)and between my breasts.  My primary care doctor is treating this for anxiety with BuSpar.  I've been to the ER many times where they did an EKG, echocardiogram, chest x-ray, stress test, Myocardial Perfusion and they also gave me Toradol for the pain.  Also, all my lab values were normal including my troponin.  At that point, since the ER doc couldn't figure out what was wrong, he sent me for a mammogram (yep, I'm a guy) which was ridiculous.  EVERYTHING was normal.  I am 6'0" and 370 pounds.  I know I'm a big guy but these pains shouldn't be happening.  I am extremely frustrated and depressed about this.  This is all I think about anymore.  I keep wondering when the heart attack is going to happen.  Help!
Hi to everyone...I am a 23 year old female, overweight and been having a lot of the same chest discomfort as described here. For about the last six months been having a dull aching in lower chest under usually left breast, ocassionally right. Usually tends to be very tender to the touch and very annoying. Initially was very concerned about it being related to heart problem, went into e.r. on two seperate occasions given EKG and told my heart was fine. My doctor had me undergo GI xrays and full abdominal ultrasound, nothing found but has put me on Pariet (an antacid) as i suppose a safeguard.  Pain meds dont seem to dull the pain very much although it isnt incrediably strong to begin with just the fact of it being so persistant for so long freaks me out. Dont know if i should bring this back up to my doc, im feeling like a nussaince at this point, but this isnt in my head its a part of my everyday life. Anyway as unfortunate as it is that many of us seem to share similar stories its somewhat relieving to hear i am not the only one..all the best and any suggestions would be great...